Morrisons holiday entitlement help?

Options
Hi, DS1, has just got his first pay slip from his 'Saturday' job at Morrisons. He has been working, part time, for the past 6 weeks.

On the slip that he got last night it seems that he is entitled to 5.61 hrs worth of holiday pay (worth £30)

Holidays need to be booked 6 weeks in advance and are lost at the end of the financial year (this year, for Morrisons, 31/03/2013)

Naturally, as his mum, I would like him to be given the holiday pay.

Any suggestion as to how he could go about getting this?

He isn't bothered about getting the time off but it seems daft to loose £30 for doing nothing.

tia

dx

Comments

• tpl
    tpl Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    He isn't losing £30, he is just foregoing his annual leave - as it is paid annual leave. If his contract states it can't be carried over, than he will lose it, unless he can negotiate to take it before the end of March or carry it over.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    tpl wrote: »
    He isn't losing £30, he is just foregoing his annual leave - as it is paid annual leave. If his contract states it can't be carried over, than he will lose it, unless he can negotiate to take it before the end of March or carry it over.
    So if you are entitled to 6 weeks holiday allowence up to now and have to book 6 weeks in advance the company surely can not tell you that you have lost it otherwise that means if you start 6 weeks before the holiday year ends you lose the entitlement which is surely agaisnt the law as pro rata you have got NO holiday.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tpl wrote: »

Yes, you're right. He isn't loosing the money...
    I have suggested he speaks to manager, explains and then asks if there is anything that can be done about it.

dx
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xxdeebeexx wrote: »
    Hi, DS1, has just got his first pay slip from his 'Saturday' job at Morrisons. He has been working, part time, for the past 6 weeks.

On the slip that he got last night it seems that he is entitled to 5.61 hrs worth of holiday pay (worth £30). Was that the first payslip he had received or has he been seeing this holiday mounting up on weekly payslips?
    time he heard
    Holidays need to be booked 6 weeks in advance and are lost at the end of the financial year (this year, for Morrisons, 31/03/2013) Where is this rule written? When did he receive notification of this rule?

Naturally, as his mum, I would like him to be given the holiday pay.

Any suggestion as to how he could go about getting this?

He isn't bothered about getting the time off but it seems daft to loose £30 for doing nothing.

tia

dx

He could request next Saturday as his time off. I kow it's not giving them six weeks' notice but he would have had to give them notice at the point he started if he were to follow the rule for notice. They are required to allow him to take the holiday even though they can say when this should be. In the circumstances, applying the 6 weeks' notice rule would prevent his taking his entitlement.

Do the written particulars he has received include a statement that he works on Saturdays only? Or is it more flexible? If flexible and he is content to work next Saturday, he could ask for a paid holiday on Friday, 29 March.
  • tpl
    tpl Posts: 187 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2013 at 9:48AM
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    So if you are entitled to 6 weeks holiday allowence up to now and have to book 6 weeks in advance the company surely can not tell you that you have lost it otherwise that means if you start 6 weeks before the holiday year ends you lose the entitlement which is surely agaisnt the law as pro rata you have got NO holiday.

That is exactly why I suggested he speak to them to negotiate if he can take it before the end of the month or carry it over. How flexible they are I don't know, but it will also depend if they made it clear to him when he started what the procedure was, as he would have needed it to book it when he started.

.....edit: just read that reponse again...you wouldn't haven't accrued 6 weeks holiday, if you had only been working there 6 weeks!
  • Jules2012
    Jules2012 Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    If he can't get time off before 31st or can't carry it forward (Although they might since he just recently started), he can ask can he get it put through for his month.
    Bad luck breeds bad luck.

Damn I'm doomed.
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 March 2013 at 4:51PM
    Options
    He could request next Saturday as his time off. I kow it's not giving them six weeks' notice but he would have had to give them notice at the point he started if he were to follow the rule for notice. They are required to allow him to take the holiday even though they can say when this should be. In the circumstances, applying the 6 weeks' notice rule would prevent his taking his entitlement.

Do the written particulars he has received include a statement that he works on Saturdays only? Or is it more flexible? If flexible and he is content to work next Saturday, he could ask for a paid holiday on Friday, 29 March.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

DS is contracted to work for 3 hours on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings.
    This is a brand new store that has been open for less than 2 weeks

He has been 'training' 4 weeks before the new store opened. This is how he has accrued the hours.
    The store has only been open for 2 weeks (he has now worked 2 Fridays, 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday in his contracted position)

They seem quite flexible... he worked extra hour last Saturday.. he had nothing to do that evening so offered to stay on later which they were happy to let him do.

He received his first 2 wage slips last night, that's when we noticed the holiday.

Thanks for the suggestions.

dx
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    he need to ask ASAP how they plan to deal with the holiday alowance that is accruing.

With the store being so new close to the end of the holiday year it would make sense for them to roll in the holiday to next years allowance and treat the first year as an extended holiday year for everyone.

Or they could just pay the accrued holiday and have some/all just work a bit of overtime to cover the hours as needed.
  • Affynity
    Affynity Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice to see Morrisons are still as awful as I remember, some 8 years since I worked there.
    I remember all too well, being expected to book my entire year's holidays as soon as the new holiday year started. It wouldn't surprise me at all that people are still having trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure