🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Debt Collection Agency

Options
demicat
demicat Posts: 9 Forumite
I apologise if this is the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a relavent one.

Can anyone give me some advice please. I had an EGG personal loan that through circumstances I defaulted on, To cut a long story short. the debt has been sold to DLC (Debt Collectors) although they deny the debt has been sold and insist they are working on behalf of Egg. I telephoned Egg only to be assured that the debt had been sold to DLC.

DLC say that unless I can pay them £176 per month they are going to obtain a CCJ on me and a charge on my property.

I am not in the postion to pay them anywhere near that amount, and wondered if legally they can take me to court because my agreement was not with them in the fist place.

I would be really appreciative of any advice anyone has.

Thankyou
Demicat

Comments

• Hopeful1
    Hopeful1 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Demicat!

I've recently had to deal with DLC. I was fortunate in that the amount was only 166.00 but even so, i didn't have it to pay them on the day i spoke to them. I found them to be very rude. I didn't pay them within the time they wanted, but made regular lump payments. Each time i wrote to confirm i'd made a payment and when i'd make the next one. I think they can be flexible but will push you as hard as they can.

I think debt collectors do have the right to go to court and put judgements etc aginst you BUT in my experience i do think they prefer to avoid that. I have a lot of debt with various collection agencies. I try to avoid telephone contact, but i do write to them on a regular basis so they know i am not ignoring them. It may be worth compiling your household expenditure list with incomings/outgoings. Mine always shows that i cannot afford all my payments.

I use that to work out my budget, i send a copy to them along with an offer that i can afford. I also say that i will try to iincrease the amount as soon as i can. Try to enclose a postal order, even if it's just for 10.00. With this i say it is an interim payment to show my willingnes to pay. You must then try to make sure that you stick to the amount and the date you have asked them to agree to.

I wish i'd been so savvy before i got into this mess!!!

Good luck.
    One step at a time ;)
  • Hopeful1
    Hopeful1 Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again.

I've just realised how old the original is, fortunately before i started blurting on about some info i had found!!
    One step at a time ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family