Basic Bank Account with Debit Card

Options
Hi All,

I know that this thread has been done a million times before but was with most things in this world things change and the banking world is no differant.

Who is the best people to get a basic bank account from which includes a debit card (i am not interested in cheque book or over draft) ?

Prior to BR i did have a basic Woolwich account with a electron card, but this is now under the control of the OR. can i ask for this account to be released back to me?

Any advise really appreciated.

Thanks,
Chimaera
BR - late January 2007

Early Discharge - early August 2007 (6 months 2 days)

Comments

• NekoZombie
    NekoZombie Posts: 1,664 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only bank that offers a debit card is co-op. As you say, this thread has been done a million times before. Just to let you know, there is a search facility on these forums, so its pretty easy to look up previous threads.

The OR should have asked if you wanted to keep any of the accounts you mentioned on your statement of affairs. If they didn't ask you that at the time, you may have already lost the account. But if you don't ask, you don't get, so see what the OR says.

Welcome to the board. :hello:
    BCSC Member 70:j
  • wherediditallgo
    wherediditallgo Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Options
    You can ask for the account to be released to you (the OR can send a "No Objection" letter to them, saying the OR has no objection to you using the account), but in reality the bank doesn't have to pay any attention to it. It's entirely up to the bank whether they allow you to keep the account or not. You could give the bank a ring though - when I did that, the Nationwide said I could keep my Flex account & set up direct debits on it, & another bank on the SOA hasn't even commented about my current accounts with them, though they must know by now because my credit card with them was on the SOA & I know the credit card side knows about it because they confirmed that when I rang them.

At the end of the day, it's very much up to the banks how they play it, & their decision often also seems to be dependent on who you speak to, so you might be better just starting afresh with a new account with the Co-op. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure