what counts as previous or existing medical conditions with

Options
Hi guys,

I was just about to book my wedding insurance and i got to the bit about declaring previous or existing medical conditions of the wedding party and wondered what they are looking for. My dad has had heart problems so that would be obvious to put in but my mums had small health problems (her knee) and while i wouldnt think that would interfear how much detail are you expected to put in?

Thanks

Comments

• Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I booked travel insurance this week specifically to cover pre-existing medical conditions, and they wanted 5 years of details in terms of GP visits/treatment etc. Might be worth calling them if you're unsure what to include.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • my_definition
    Options
    I think i could be there all day if they want the last 5 years! Think you might be right with just phoning.Thanks. Annoyed ive filled out all the details before i got to that bit.
  • split_second
    split_second Posts: 2,761 Forumite
    Options
    They should specify how long they want, 3-5 years is normal as well as anything chronic for medical history on insurance
    Who remembers when X Factor was just Roman suncream?
  • my_definition
    Options
    Thanks split second they dont have any details at all just says please specify under the question. Think ill phone them
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    I think each insurance company may be different so its best ringing to check...I recently had to take out an event insurance and they wanted to know about anything that was still receiving medical treatment or medical treatment completed in the last year.

Its also worth checking how much of your immediate family they need to know the details of...it may just be that they need the details of just you and your partner,as in theory if they wanted to know much more detail about other guests then the law of averages would probably suggest that in a group of 100 guests someone is bound to have a medical condition that they would rather not cover!
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    I think each insurance company may be different so its best ringing to check...I recently had to take out an event insurance and they wanted to know about anything that was still receiving medical treatment or medical treatment completed in the last year.

Its also worth checking how much of your immediate family they need to know the details of...it may just be that they need the details of just you and your partner,as in theory if they wanted to know much more detail about other guests then the law of averages would probably suggest that in a group of 100 guests someone is bound to have a medical condition that they would rather not cover!

But would you cancel the wedding arrangements if any one of those 100 were prevented from attending?

Surely it is simply information about those people where, if they weren't able to attend, you would consider not going ahead on the day booked. That suggests very close family members, not friends and third cousins.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    But would you cancel the wedding arrangements if any one of those 100 were prevented from attending?

Surely it is simply information about those people where, if they weren't able to attend, you would consider not going ahead on the day booked. That suggests very close family members, not friends and third cousins.

I quite agree with you....thats why i suggested the op check how much information they need to disclose....

We are only making an assumption that you would think its just the immediate wedding party that would be involved but insurance companies MAY and are quite at liberty to void the insurance if their conditions are not met....if in the small print its not clearly definable then in the event of a claim the insurance company could decide not to pay...

Its also worth remembering that you aren't just covered for cancellation of the wedding if someone is taken ill before the day,you could still get some assistance if a wedding guest is taken ill whilst attending the wedding,and plans for the remainder of the day need to be altered significally as a result.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • my_definition
    Options
    Phoned and just incase anyone else is wondering e and l want parents grandparent bride groom best man and bridesmaids if theres any existing medical problems at all so mums knee needs to go in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure