BR and court

Options
Hi,
Do you have to use the local court as earliest date I have is July 15th?

Comments

• gettingitsorted
    gettingitsorted Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Options
    Hi bobble,

i dont think it really makes a difference ,is there another on in the same area such as im in lincolnshire ,and i could have used peterborough or lincoln .

Maybe worth ringing the local court and asking .
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • allofadither
    allofadither Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I think you can use any court you want to, but you have to give reasons why you are not using the one nearest to you....so if July 15th is too long for you to wait and puts you under unecccssary stress etc then I think that's a good reason. Find the other courts around your area and like GIS says, ring them and pick the one that can fit you in soonest!
  • AlanD_3
    AlanD_3 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Options
    BUT... isn't the OR appointed by the court and any meeting you'd have to have with them would be local to the court...

...just a thought, sorry if I'm wrong.
  • allofadither
    allofadither Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Good question Alan....haven't a clue about the answer though, but I recall that some people on here have had their cases moved to different OR offices despite using their *nearest* court.
  • plantpot100
    plantpot100 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I had quite a wait as well and was told by my Court that i couldn't go to another - Had to be the one local to my area.
  • oscar_uk_2
    oscar_uk_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    quite surprise by the wait...

phoned my county court today (guildford) and was told that i can just turn up at 9 any day mon-fri and just do it. Do you think it depends on where you live? Maybe there isn't as much demand for bankruptcy in Surrey...

...although you'd think with all the celebs who live nearby there'd be a steady trade...
  • disco_3
    disco_3 Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine thought about BR last weekend. Took advice of the good people on here. Phoned the courts managed to get an appointment. Went BR Friday the 11th May. 7 days after talking about it. Not even had a letter of debt from any of the creditors yet. Just depends on where you are and luck i suppose.
  • Gorrafewquidnow
    Options
    I think it depends om where in the country you are. In our area, you can get an appointment within 10 days of your call
    Been there,got theT-shirt........could probably do with the trousers too.....:rotfl:
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlanD wrote: »
    BUT... isn't the OR appointed by the court and any meeting you'd have to have with them would be local to the court...

...just a thought, sorry if I'm wrong.

Not necessarily, Alan, My BR was at the High Court, in London. I was told to ring the Insolvency Service, in London, which I did. When I explained that I lived in the West Country, my case was passed to the local Insolvency Service Office and the OR contacted me about two weeks later. My OR meeting was held in Bristol.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport