I've done it and taken the chance!

FBabyFBaby Forumite
18.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
...I've ordered two dresses on the internet :)

I'd set a low budget on my dress, but still wanted something nice enough that it didn't look cheap! I expected to struggle to find a style I liked, but I didn't! I immediately really liked two dresses. Unfortunately, the main one is on ebay and come from China :( As it is a long one (not what I was going to go for in the first place, and very cheap at under £100), I decided to also go for a shorter, simpler one for the evening (£100 also!). That's from lightinthebox.com.

I did quite a bit of research and know that ordering a dress from China usually leads to tears, so my expectations are low. I paid for the chance, would so love if the dress did look remotely like the model :) At least so far, I have had regular contact with the seller, and made sure to give all my measurements in details.

I decided to pay the extra £20 to have the dress from lightinthebox fitted to my dimensions too (as I have unusual dimensions in this country, small chest, small waist, big hips :) )

Anyway, i thought I would post and will keep you updated as to whether the investment paid off or whether it was a complete mistake not to be repeated!!!

Replies

• I had two dresses too. The second one was from China and I was lucky. It was amazing and no one would have guessed.

One thing to warn you about...Customs charges. In all likelihood you will get hit as HMRC have really clamped down.

The seller had put a nominal value on the declaration but I still got a phone call in which customs wanted proof of how much I had paid. I sent them a copy of the ebay listing and I think paid approx 25GBP before they released the parcel.

Do not even think about trying to pull a fast one and sending them doctored receipts or you will be in deep doo doo.
  • I'd be really interested to hear what the lightinthebox one arrives like - I've had my eye on a knee length one from there too and wasn't sure whether to take the plunge or not :)
  • FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks skateykatey that's excellent advice. I had not thought about customs charges at all. It's nice to read that you were pleased with the dress.

littlebear, this is the one I ordered (which actually is longer than knee length!)
    http://www.lightinthebox.com/Sheath--Column-Bateau-Short--Mini-Chiffon-Wedding-Dress--WSH1102563-_p172470.html

I expected to receive this one before the China one (and no problems with customs:))
  • cats2012cats2012 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    FBaby wrote: »
    Thanks skateykatey that's excellent advice. I had not thought about customs charges at all. It's nice to read that you were pleased with the dress.

littlebear, this is the one I ordered (which actually is longer than knee length!)
    http://www.lightinthebox.com/Sheath--Column-Bateau-Short--Mini-Chiffon-Wedding-Dress--WSH1102563-_p172470.html

I expected to receive this one before the China one (and no problems with customs:))

I'm pretty sure lightinthebox is China too - I ordered some favours from there that definitely came with Chinese markings x
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Forumite
    cats2012 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure lightinthebox is China too - I ordered some favours from there that definitely came with Chinese markings x

Argggg I think you're right! That's why everything is so cheap! Oh dear, double trouble then :)
  • CompBunnyCompBunny Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Good luck Fbaby, keep us updated!
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72
    Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• bonkers007bonkers007 Forumite
    21 Posts
    have you recieved them yet? id love to know what they are like etc quality, style, fit etc as i to am looking to buy one off ebay for the style i like! :)
  • FBabyFBaby Forumite
    18.4K Posts
    Forumite
    :o Can someone tell me how to post pictures on the site (techno shy request):o

Yes, I have received both and I am delighted with both of them! The one I posted the advert of arrived first and is genuinely exactly as the picture (actually I think it looks nicer ivory colour!). It fits me perfectly, especially around the back which I was concerned about. The only part that will need some alteration is the fastening at the back that needs to be a bit tightened. Very easy to do, I will do so myself.

The second dress arrived about 6 weeks after ordering (to measure), and again, I'm overall delighted. Everyone who have seen have said it is beautiful (and I do trust they are being genuine!). It fits me like a glove, really impressed with that. There are some minor issues, but I am seeing a professional tomorrow and i am confident it can be sorted. The main one is that the dress is too long. I suspect this was done on purpose in case I got my measurements wrong and wanted a refund. I also do not like the bow that goes from front to back. It is not the colour I asked, and the quality of it is poor. This will be replaced. There is also a part in front of the dress I want removed, but overall, the quality is very good and the fit perfect.

The extra surprise was that I paid no export tax for either of them.

In my case, the gamble definitely paid off.
    1.1K Posts
    Really glad its worked out for you, FBaby!

To post pics:

http://tinypic.com/ - go here and upload pics from your computer by clicking "browse". Select resize to "message board" size. Submit, enter the annoying captcha words, wait for ages for it to upload, and then it will give you the URL to copy and paste onto a forum, the one surrounded by IMG tags < > I think. Paste the string of code it gives you in to a normal post on here and hey presto :j

1.1K Posts
    Oooh and which is the other seller you used that wasn't Lightinthebox please?

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Did you know there's an MSE app?

It's free & available on iOS & Android

MSE App

Regifting: good idea or not?

Add your two cents to the discussion

MSE Forum