We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barclays Grad Loan - Help with forms needed

Options
May-B
May-B Posts: 39 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
Hoping someone might be able to offer some advice.
I have a graduate loan with Barclays which currently stands at £2000 (£1000 has been paid off).
I am undertaking a big move in August to Scotland (thats a looong way from where I am now!), to start part time study in September. I wanted to take out another grad loan with Barclays to pay off the existing one, so that I could reduce my monthly repayments and also pay off my overdraft. I wanted to do this as I felt I would struggle to cover the existing repayments of £177 a month (extending the period over which I have taken the loan would reduce repayments to £60 a month) and so I could free up some credit during the move and job switching etc just in case I needed it (I shouldn't need it but I would like to feel safer knowing its there). So in total I applied for £3000.
Barclays have turned me down by saying that the budget planner I completed for the loan has not been completed accurately and that my account is in 'decline'. I keep a pretty good budget record so I was surprised. But I went through all of my accout records again and I cant see a discrepancy. I did fill out the budget planner honestly, and there was enough disposable income left to cover the loan etc. Is there something specific they are looking for on this budget form do you know? Did I put too much disposable income? Also, my account has been a bit irratic over the last few months - for instance, I put that I was paying rent, which I have for years, except in April and May I haven't as have been staying with a friend before I move. Do you know when they assess the budget planner do they look at the last few months or just the last month? I did a bit of research and I know that Barclays outsource the loan assessment to a company called PGC? (I think its PGC anyway) - anyone heared of them before.
They have also said that my account is 'in decline' I assume this is because in March and April I got paid less than I usually do (I am a contract worker). In March, unusually there was hardly any work and in April I had to take some time out to sort out the move - The fact that I wasn't paying rent mopped up the discrepancy though. I've also moved every six months for the last few years, and changed emplyer several times which I know is a big no-no on the credit score.
Do you think its going to be completely hopeless to appeal the loan? Any advice welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport