No hassle prescription only for glasses???

Options
I normally go to Specsavers for my glasses but they are very expensive!

My son lost his and we bought them from Glass Direct as we had the prescription, and it was a dream service only costing £15 - fab!

Now I have to have vari-focals. Do you know if I can just get a prescription only for these and buy them online? Or is all the measuring etc really necessary or only faffing about (sorry to any optician assistants - no offense meant).

I really cannot afford to buy them from SS but am worried that they will pressure me to buy off them. I am not very assertive when it comes to these matters:o .

Can anyone recommend somewhere you get the eye test and they give over the prescription with no hassle or do they all try to get you to buy from them??

Is it my right to get just the prescription and buy online?

Sorry have searched but there are so many threads to go through and I wanted a fairly quick answer.

Many thanks.
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Comments

• Seren_2
    Seren_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    You can get varifocals from Glasses Direct, they send someone to your house for measurements, still a lot cheaper than High St.
    .....Science is the antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.......
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Seren wrote: »
    You can get varifocals from Glasses Direct, they send someone to your house for measurements, still a lot cheaper than High St.

Sorry to sound dim, but you still have to have the prescription dont you from the opticians?:o
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    If you get your eyes tested at an optician you are legally entitled to take the prescription away with you so you can buy glasses elsewhere if you wish. They get a bit snotty about it but you have that right. If they won't hand it over, refuse to pay.

I get my eyes tested at Vision Express but I buy my glasses from Optilabs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure