fake tans...spray or moisturise?

Options
Hi

I am thinking of fake tanning for a firends wedding next month. I have always previously used sun showers but since having my daughter think its time to be responsible and take care of myself.

I would like suggestions as to which home method of tanning is most 'natural', spray tans or cream tans which build up over a number of applications. I notice that morrisons currently have a couple of sprays and lotions on offer but i really don't know what to try. my other option is to go to the local beauty training college and let them spray me, i think its £5 for partial body, £10 for whole body.

Thanks
Fight for clean hospitals, C-DIFF takes lives :cry:

Baby number 2 due 27th March 2009!:j

Comments

• Justie
    Justie Posts: 1,768 Forumite
    Options
    I would go with the college option - doing it yourself for the first time is a bit hit and miss and it's hard to reach your back etc. I would start now exfoliating every few days and moisturising - especially on elbows, knees and anywhere you've got rough skin. If you wax your lags have them waxed well before you tan if you shave then don't worry too much. Have the tan 2 days before or 3 days before the wedding as it takes a day to develop and you're likely to want it not quite as dark as it develops. A tan will last well for 5 days and still be evident for longer than that usually but it depends on your skin. You should be given aftercare instructions about moisturising etc but don't exfoliate after you've had the tan ;)

If you want to try it yourself then get practising - I'd go for a spray as it's then easier to do awkward areas but each brand will be slightly different on you so you may need to buy a couple to see the result you want. As above exfoliate and moisturise and then get practising - don't spray direct onto knees, elbows ankles etc you'll have to run in whatever tan you use even a spray so use what's on your hands to do your knees etc or mix some tan with a moisturiser and then rub on. I'd do it at night and then sleep in it - be prepared for a smell as even though the lotions themselves don't smell these days the oxidation process smells like overcooked biscuits on some people. Get one with some colour in so you can see where you've put it...
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    i use the moisturiser ones that gradually build up, and they're great. I'd recommend the Johnson's one (choose the darker out the two shades), and make sure you rub it in well to avoid any streaks, although i've never had any streaking problems, and it gives a nice natural looking tan colour. they're usually on buy-one-get-one-free in Tesco or boots.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • VioletBaudelaire
    Options
    I use Garnier Summer Body (moisturiser with added tan) and it's the only one I've ever used (both full-on fake tan and tanning moisturisers) that doesn't leave a horrible smell on my skin.
    Everyone has different skin chemistry, so you might not mind the smell of the
    others so much, but I swear by this one.
    Because it builds up gradually it's more user-friendly if you're nervous about going streaky and the colour is very subtle at first. I use the original, lighter shade (I have very fair skin) but there is a darker shade out now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure