We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Dreams in administration but orders and gift cards 'safe'

Options
"Dreams was placed into administration last night but its assets were immediately sold to a new company..."
Read the full story:

Dreams in administration but orders and gift cards 'safe'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• landsker
    landsker Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Beds are a "distress purchase" and low on people's priorities in tough times.
    No surprise to me they've gone through. I don't expect the "new" outfit to survive either,
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know what's happening with the 90 that didn't get bought by SCS? worried wife here:(
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why does such a thing as a Dreams gift voucher even exist?

- "Happy Birthday, here's a Dreams gift voucher"
    - "Oh thank you, it's just what I always wanted!"
  • Inca31
    Inca31 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this but I have a query:

We have ordered a new bed from dreams but it for our new house that we are not completing on for several weeks so we were holding off on delivery until then to save moving it ourselves as it is big and v heavy.

If the new company changes its mind and stops honouring previous orders as the post above suggested where does this leave us? We bought the bed on interest free credit and they haven't taken a payment as yet..

Thanks!
  • JAG
    JAG Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    landsker wrote: »
    I don't expect the "new" outfit to survive either,

Dreams has been trading well with sales up 7.2% year-on-year in the four weeks to 7 January, while total sales rose 8%, a record December and new year performance.

The problem was the £3 million profit but £40 million pound debt. Now having the debt wiped out and start again.
    ecoelle wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with the 90 that didn't get bought by SCS? worried wife here:(

I have read that the founder of Dreams Mike Clare, who sold the business in 2008, maybe interested in the other 90 stores and staff. He was one of the bidders looking to take back all of Dreams stores, but SCS offered the banks more cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure