We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Scottish vernacular?
Comments
-
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
Dictionary doesn't give an origin (it does sometimes) - first recorded 1962 - http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/ All the citations suggest Glaswegian origins. If you ask them they might have more information?0
-
That's a new one on me so I suspect it isn't Scotland wide but more West coastLost my soulmate so life is empty.
I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
Diana Gabaldon, Outlander0 -
Torry_Quine wrote: »That's a new one on me so I suspect it isn't Scotland wide but more West coast
I used to hear "check out the coupon on that" which meant "look at (usually) her face" ..... in the same way that you'd examine a pools coupon. That was in Glasgow.
WR0 -
Some dictionaries suggest Scots and Irish origins.
Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.
Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.
Jean Cocteau 1889-1963
0 -
A common question when I was younger was, "What's up wi' your coupon?"
A "punch on the coupon" also meant a punch on the face. I suspect that (like me) it was around long before 1962. The analogy to bus conductors punching your ticket (coupon) seems the most plausible to me (coming from the WoS).
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett0 -
Haven't heard that in years.
It was commonly used in Edinburgh but not the Highlands.Herman - MP for all!
0 -
I love this site, great replies, thanks to all.0
-
I always thought that it came from the rhyming slang "coup de grace" transposed to "face".
Glasgow (Scottish ?) rhyming slang is very up to date with such as "Ruby Murray" for "curry" & "Hank Marvin" for "starving".
Regards,
N. :-)Never be afraid to take a profit.
Keep breathing. :eek:
Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j0 -
Not to mention, Gladys Knight and Lillian Gish.
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise." - Tobias Smollett0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
