bank account in joint names

Options
Hi was just wondering,my husband is about to file for bankruptcy but we have a joint HSBC current account,they are unable to take my name off the account in credit or otherwise.My Husband also has a HSBC credit card in his name alone that he will be declaring as one of his creditors,will HSBC or can they take money from the current account to pay this debt and pursue me for this debt ? although the hsbc credit card is in my husbands name alone?

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could close the joint account (unless in debt) and open one each.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • bobbleb
    Options
    Yes, I know we could close it but not in credit
    But what I really wanted to know is can HSBC
    Come after me for the money(as its in both our names)on my husbands HSBC credit card (this is only in his name)as I have heard
    If you have a Barclays Bank account and you are going
    Bankrupt & not/unable to pay your barclaycard credit card
    They can take money from your account,is that true?
  • Mouse1812
    Options
    EvilWest used our joint account to clear my credit card and then hounded Mrs Mouse for the full amount + charges and interest - fought them and settled on debt without any charges or interest.

So yes HSBC can chase you for amount on joint account. Credit card depends upon type of card - is it paid in full each month by DD? Mine was a "charge card" so Mrs Mouse got stuffed.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bobbleb wrote: »
    Yes, I know we could close it but not in credit
    But what I really wanted to know is can HSBC
    Come after me for the money(as its in both our names)on my husbands HSBC credit card (this is only in his name)as I have heard
    If you have a Barclays Bank account and you are going
    Bankrupt & not/unable to pay your barclaycard credit card
    They can take money from your account,is that true?

You could each open an account elsewhere, and only put in the joint one what you are willing to chance them taking. Or even open a joint elsewhere.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Sparx71
    Options
    Barclays bank were one of my creditors, and they cancelled all direct debits on our joint account when I went BR. This had nothing to do with the Mrs, and all debts were incurred before we met!! They did eventually apologise, and reinstate the DDs (we made them write to every DD company with an apology,hehe). They also give her £300 and a bunch of flowers!! BR-17/03/10 Discharge- 17/09/13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure