Northern rail free weekend pass

Options
I was on my way to the train station and the staff from northern rail is giving out some leaflets called "theweekender" with a unique id number, these leaflets allow you to register and get free ride on any weekend between april and may; you can go anywhere where the norther rail network extends.

Now, this is where I'm actually confused and hope someone can clarify a few points.

In their network map I see that newcastle is included but not glasgow; however when I search for a ticket from manchester to glasgow, it gives out a ticket. If Glasgow isn't included in the network, how exactly does it work, will I be still going through Northern Rail?

I don't want to go to Glasgow but thought it would be nice to understand how far I can go with this pass as long as I know where the norther rail network extends to.

What I want to know as well is, in the network map northern rail extends to newcastle(from manchester), does that mean that NR operates from new castle to manchester as well?

Thank you

Comments

• commuter27
    Options
    I don't suppose you know anyone that has a spare leaflet do you? :)
  • Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I had, I would be grabbing one my self as I'm thinking of making a 2 day journey, going to newcastle and using another leaflet to come back from there hence I need to know if northern rail operates there or not.

:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glasgow - manchester is either first (direct) or virgin (if you change at Preston). I would assume you have to go on a northern service. If you search national rail journeys it always tells you the provider.

It's very hard to get manchester to Newcastle going exclusively on northern. It looks like you have to go manchester to Leeds, Leeds to Carlisle, Carlisle to Newcastle. I assume that will take hours!

Northern tends to be local services. There doesn't seem to be easy connections between the different areas!

This is the map

http://www.northernrail.org/pdfs/network_map/network_map_jan_2010.pdf

You'll have to plan any journey according to the route shown on this map!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cpu2007 wrote: »
    ...when I search for a ticket from manchester to glasgow, it gives out a ticket. If Glasgow isn't included in the network, how exactly does it work, will I be still going through Northern Rail?
    And if you search for a journey from Exeter to Penzance on Northern Rail's website, it will offer tickets for that trip too.

All train operating companies offer tickets on each other's trains as well as their own.

With that offer you are only allowed to travel on Northern Rail's trains.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Manchester-Preston, Preston-Carlisle, Carlisle-Newcastle. If you start early enough you could be in Newcastle by early afternoon but coming back might be a bit of a bummer!! I used to get the Preston-Carlisle route from Barrow when I lived in Carlisle and its certainly er - scenic :D
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • P2TKL
    P2TKL Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If anyone can find where to get one of these leaflets with the code please let us know........
  • desperate_dan
    Options
    the trains from Newcastle to Carlisle are Northern Rail and the same train often continues to Glasgow-yet it then becomes a Scotrail service and not a Northern rail service!!
  • desperate_dan
    Options
    which station was giving out these weekender leaflets?
  • melbell
    melbell Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    I got a handful from Manchester Piccadilly and another handful from Manchester Oxford road :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've been posted a free weekender leaflet. I don't want it so basically first person who replies to my comment can have it. I'll PM you the code. You can use it for up to 4 people and you can travel any weekend between the 13th April to the 19th may. But you must book by march 28th.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure