Don't panic!

Replies

• Damn garden centres don't help. I was panicking the other day because there's no sign of my seed pots and onion sets arriving yet, eejit! lol I've got loads of work to keep me going, new raised bed should arrive within the next few days as should the wormery, and I have a green roof to build. Its so exciting! I noticed last night that the pear trees buds are getting ready to burst, I'm hoping to get my first crop from it this year (fingers and toes crossed).
    I bought this book a few weeks ago:
    [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1780270461/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?
    ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1780270461/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/URL]
    Its a gold mine of information for Scottish gardeners, its certainly saved me the heartache of spending money growing sweet potatoes this year that have no chance!
  • Lifes_Grand_PlanLifes_Grand_Plan Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see tender seedlings in the local large chain garden centre. Tomatoes will be huge by the time the frosts have gone. I'm waiting till the end of this month before I germinate seeds. I do have some chillis that are now a few days old, but they are Capsicum chinense which needs a long growing season.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tidied up the garden at the w/e . Sun is shining , temp is climbing ..... but have just checked long term forecast . SNOW is forecast end of next week .

Seeds will stay in their packets
  • AngelsMadvAngelsMadv Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Hi all,

Really great to get tips like this as I'm new to growing my own. I dug my plot in my back yard and the two plots at the charity allotment I run this last weekend.

I'm wondering if it's too late to dig manure through the plot in time for planting or if this week is a good as time as any?

I dug some through last year so all is not lost but I was wondering your thoughts.

Many thanks

Dr V.
    I am firmly across the line. I won't impose my values on you if you keep away from mine.
    Updated 14/10/14 :A
  • misskoolmisskool Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngelsMadv wrote: »
    Hi all,

Really great to get tips like this as I'm new to growing my own. I dug my plot in my back yard and the two plots at the charity allotment I run this last weekend.

I'm wondering if it's too late to dig manure through the plot in time for planting or if this week is a good as time as any?

I dug some through last year so all is not lost but I was wondering your thoughts.

Many thanks

Dr V.

Not too late if you have good rotted manure, we're still digging up the allotment and I haven't forked over or put leaf mould on the raised beds at home yet :) Don't add fresh manure

I have some broadbeans and hardy peas out and germinating some stuff on windowsill but we are in the south east.
  • safestored4safestored4 Forumite
    464 Posts
    The basic premise of this thread is far too simplistic since climatic conditions in this country vary considerably from place to place. Follow the guidance in the link provided by 'Lifes Grand Plan' at 11.46 and you won't go far wrong.
  • wallbashwallbash
    17.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic premise of this thread is far too simplistic since climatic conditions in this country vary considerably from place to place. Follow the guidance in the link provided by 'Lifes Grand Plan' at 11.46 and you won't go far wrong.

Disagree , there can be no guidance about the weather .
    Last March , we had very warm weather ( got a bit of a tan ) this year mid march looks like snow , and I am in the S.E .

So my seeds will remain in their packets , but when they are sown , my veg will race ahead , if sown in the correct conditions.
  • Linda32Linda32 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim_n wrote: »
    'I can sell twice as many plants, demand is for plants now, and those same people will be back after the frosts buying the same plants again once they've died, sometimes they'll be back twice'

Thats true, I work part time at a Nursery and we got asked for tomatos two weeks ago! No we havn't got any! :D
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The basic premise of this thread is far too simplistic since climatic conditions in this country vary considerably from place to place.

No, it's simplistic because it assumes we are all just growing vegetables.

Until a few years ago, most of my seed sowing was done in the summer /autumn, so I'd be looking for germination now and getting excited. I didn't have much time or space for vegetables; it was shrubs & perennials I was after. I'd also be seeing root and other cuttings etc starting to sprout.

But I agree that sowing too early, or worse, buying stuff in before conditions are right, is not sensible. Stress levels are high just now for any plants. For example, my polytunnel went from 23c yesterday afternoon to 2.3c overnight. That isn't great for seedlings of tenderish things!

My overwintered chard and salad crops are all just fine though. If you have protection, it's certainly worth a punt to sow in the autumn and gamble on a soft winter like the one we've had. Some things, like mizuna, never stopped growing. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide