'"I tricked my daughter into downshifting"' blog discussion

2»

Comments

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 February 2013 at 8:26AM
    TimBear wrote: »
    Some people are just a bit snobby about what they buy and think that branded or premium means 'better', when in a lot of cases it doesn't.
    and why do people start calling others snob for not compromising on quality; I thought this was unique to old style board among women who decide what is best for the next person but it looks like that complex is universal - it is sad, it is embarassing to see people get worked up about someone elses preferences, aesthetics and above all, palpitating over someone else spending their own money

Branded items are better, I have no doubts about it.

For instance, none of the mickey mouse shampoos in the supermarkets are silicon free, whereas branded shampoos have lesser element of silicons. And in the long run, these unbranded shampoos and conditioners would have spoilt hair beyond repair. Branded items have a unique selling point; those who say it doesn't matter are probably not informed, imo.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    I usually buy branded items, but I just stock up every time they are on offer, when they are cheaper than store own brands anyway!

Tesco sends me vouchers for more money off the branded items I buy, so can't really complain.

As for being deceitful - I think the mother should buy the branded one once more, and then reveal what she did to her daughter. Then ask her if she noticed which refill was branded and which one wasn't.

Nothing to do with Santa.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    meher wrote: »
    and why do people start calling others snob for not compromising on quality; I thought this was unique to old style board among women who decide what is best for the next person but it looks like that complex is universal - it is sad, it is embarassing to see people get worked up about someone elses preferences, aesthetics and above all, palpitating over someone else spending their own money

Branded items are better, I have no doubts about it.

For instance, none of the mickey mouse shampoos in the supermarkets are silicon free, whereas branded shampoos have lesser element of silicons. And in the long run, these unbranded shampoos and conditioners would have spoilt hair beyond repair. Branded items have a unique selling point; those who say it doesn't matter are probably not informed, imo.

Absolutely, without doubt some branded/premium products are better, and I'm wholly in agreement with you regarding shampoos (that's something I never scrimp on).

I wouldn't dismiss an own-brand/value product off-hand though without trying it. How do you know a branded product is better if you haven't tried the alternatives?

By all means, people can spend their money on what they want; other people's choices don't affect me in anyway.
  • Ahhhh, the great shampoo debate, sigh!

Think - what is hair?
    Does it bleed when you cut it? (in case you don't know, the answer is no)
    Does it hurt when you cut it? (see above)

And what does that tell you?
    No blood circulation, no nervous system . . . it is dead!
    D E A D dead.
    It is not resting
    It is not pining for the fjords
    It is dead.

Nothing, and no-one, not even the greatest shampoo in the world can change that.
    The only thing a shampoo can do is make your hair more 'manageable' (laughs) a slick (no pun) marketing term.

'Manageable' means leaving a residue on your hair which simply acts as a lubricant, but remember most of that lubricant just flushes down the plughole, polluting our watercourses.

Of course, this lubricant residue is rather defeating of the original purpose of washing your hair, to get the grease out of it.

You would be far better to apply a lubricant directly to your hair as that would be more economical and less polluting - its what the shampoo is doing anyway.

I'd really recommend Castrol Hypoy 90 gear oil, you'll find the comb/brush will just glide through your hair :D
    The bankers stole my pension (and everyone else's). It should have earned a lot of money, but they took their bonus pot first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure