We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

what would you do???

Options
i have been paying my ex boyfriends bill for a couple years at £10 month - he bought me a 3piece suite and used his first name and my last name for the account but never paid so it got sent to national debt recovery ltd - every now and then they put £12 charge on saying they havent received the money even though it was sent in good time, but, they wont discuss this with me as im not the original debtor but, im scared to reveal why so i keep sending the cheques - there is still £200 to pay and i seem to not be getting down at all...........

any advice please?

thanks

Comments

• itsarichmansworld
    Options
    If its not yours why are you paying?

Sorry I am a bit confused... Did you ex pay anything to it at all.

If its not in your name surely they cant persue you for it?
    Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's not in your name then I'd stop paying. Do you have a forwarding address you can give them for your ex?
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    the reason i paid was because he was using my address and my last name for the goods - he made a few payments and then when we split he stopped but, i have the goods and i allowed him to use my last name so im scared because i will be held accountable for fraud.....

i have tried explaining to them before but they became abusive over the phone and i got scared and just carried on paying the £10 a month - im just realising that it is never going to be paid off - it isnt going down as they are always putting charges on....

but, i dont have a forwarding address as we havent spoke in nearly 4 years now....i wouldnt know where to find him.......
  • BAILIFFCHASER
    BAILIFFCHASER Posts: 936 Forumite
    Options
    sue the pants off them in court !!!! issue for distress. Easy peasy !!!!!
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • magoogy
    magoogy Posts: 2,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i wouldnt have the guts to sue them - im scared it will backfire on me as i let him do it after all and i do have the goods.....

all i want is to stop the payments as i feel i have paid enough back with all the interest they have charged over the years they have had the full amount back and i am trying to sort my finances out and can do without this.....

can someone explain exactly what my rights are? would i be liable and how should i go about it?

thanks
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Hi there.

Do you have any paperwork? Any recent statements? Have they actually been cashing these £10 cheques you send to them?
  • itsarichmansworld
    itsarichmansworld Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Options
    If its not in your name your not Liable....

STOP PAYING IT

They cannot come after you for it it was your ex that commited fraud not you.
    Isn't the knowledge that comes from experience more valuable than the knowledge that doesn't?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport