We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax gone to Bailiffs...

Options
Bailiffs came to our house this week for repayment of Council Tax-not this years , but money that's owed from a few years ago. This is my mom and Dad's council Tax, anyway we ignored the Bailiffs and phoned them up and came to an agreement-though this is gonna be hard to afford although, i am helping out,but i can only help out so much because i've just left a job. anyway I had to Pay £410-which was actually £426-cos of a ridiculous 4% surcharge-i mean what gives them the right and we now have to pay £55 a week for 6 months. I was just wondering if we could get this debt passed back to the Council , so we could pay them instead of the Bailiffs and get rid of these charges-they of course recommend paying by card, cos post payment could get lost, the thing is i am paying these costs, not my Parents..
Any advice would be welcome.
Halifax-Limit-£500-Balance-£0
Halifax-Limit-£500-Balance-£127
Virgin-Limit-£500-Balance-£0
Thomas Cook-Limit-£1100-Balance-£0 Play-Limit-£1000-Balance-£358

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried talking to the local council? Even though they have passed the matter to bailiffs, if the debt is not yours, then you should not have to pay it.
    If you are paying it in order to help your parents, then the council may look more sympathetically at their case and allow them to come to an agreement on paying by affordable instalments.
    It is unfortunate that councils appear to be able to get bailiffs involved without, as most other creditors, recourse to the court system. However, even this will not affect your rights, and the bailiffs must act in a responsible manner, under guidelines laid down by the office of fair trading.
    This does NOT give them the right to chase you for a debt which is not yours.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Bella198421
    Bella198421 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Options
    They're not chasing me-i was just at home and feel i have to help them cos i have savings of a few grand-the Bailiffs knew that i was the daughter helping them out and they still wanted want we've agreed to-my mom kept saying that she couldn't afford it and doesn't have any goods-which is true.
  • Bella198421
    Options
    So could i contact the council myself-and try and explain the situation-i mean if i had a job it wouldn't be a problem, but i've had to leave my temping job cos of medical reason's and am sorting out a claim for JSA and will be using savings to help them-i'm gonna start resenting my mom for doing this to me.
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They're not chasing me-i was just at home and feel i have to help them cos i have savings of a few grand-the Bailiffs knew that i was the daughter helping them out and they still wanted want we've agreed to-my mom kept saying that she couldn't afford it and doesn't have any goods-which is true.

Then the Bailiffs had no right to discuss your mum's 'debts' with you, never mind forcing you into making an agreement on behalf of your mum.
    Their behaviour is despicable, they appear to have broken all the guidelines as laid down by the OFT, and this should be reported, both to the council and to the local trading standards office.
    For more details on your rights, and on the guidelines which these 'legalised criminals' should adhere to, click n the following link:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

• Bella198421
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    Then the Bailiffs had no right to discuss your mum's 'debts' with you, never mind forcing you into making an agreement on behalf of your mum.
    Their behaviour is despicable, they appear to have broken all the guidelines as laid down by the OFT, and this should be reported, both to the council and to the local trading standards office.
    For more details on your rights, and on the guidelines which these 'legalised criminals' should adhere to, click n the following link:

they spoke to my mom-only to me when i made the payment , but she only made the agreement cos i was saying yeah i can help you out etc, cos before that they just wouldn't agree to her paying what she could afford and didn't want them returning etc-we just want to keep them away.
  • Bella198421
    Options
    this £410 has gone from my account, so i wish i could just lower the £55 a week for her, though the sooner it's paid the better.
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    they spoke to my mom-only to me when i made the payment , but she only made the agreement cos i was saying yeah i can help you out etc, cos before that they just wouldn't agree to her paying what she could afford and didn't want them returning etc-we just want to keep them away.

Talk with the council, or better still, have a word with CAB - these people were definitely out of order.

• Bella198421
    Options
    we have to make another payment next week-about £30. and then start the £55.
  • rog2
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    we have to make another payment next week-about £30. and then start the £55.

It seems as though you have been pressurised into an unfair agreement. Please talk to your local Citizens' Advice Bureau on Tuesday - they really can help in these situations.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family