We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Quickie question re banks

Options
Hello,
i am trying to open up a parachute account but the halifax are taking forever (2 weeks so far and looking at, at least another 2 weeks)
I was recommended to go to nationwide but the nearest branch is some distance from me.
Would nationwide be any quicker?
Was also recommeded the abbey but i have huge debts with mbna and they are associated (so i believe)
So the main question is, can nationwide open an account straight away?
Thanks
The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(

Comments

• rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    I have no idea sorry when I opened my parachute account I did mine online as we are limited with local branches of banks so postal and online banking makes more sense for us. Also you tell straight away online if you passed the credit check.
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    Ray. Are all accounts from all branches able to be done on line then?
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • rayday2
    rayday2 Posts: 3,960 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you mean sorry my knackered brain probably!

If you mean can you apply online with all banks then most the time you can, like you could try applying for nationwide on line and see what happens.

If you mean the actual banking we went with Cahoot considering a few others like smile etc, we can pay in via the post office which is ideal we have one in the village, or we post cheques to them in envelopes pre paid for by the bank. We can arrange everything else on line set up standing orders, cancel direct debits the works so we never have to speak to anyone!
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    Thats exactly what i meant, thanks Ray. Sorry i'm a little knackered too and didn't make myself clear
  • kahluagirl
    kahluagirl Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    prob wont help u but aft cudnt use my bank account i opened a post office account.but its only 4 government benefits.hope it does help u
  • GirlRacer_2
    GirlRacer_2 Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    Options
    I've recently opened an account with Alliance and Leicester and Abbey online, both opened very quickly. A&L account can be accessed via post office.
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I opened a Nat west account recently, took about 2 and a half weeks from start to finish.
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Options
    is it the halifax easycash (basic account) you are trying to open, as this takes about 10 days, as long as they are happy with all the info and id that you provided ??

you can apply by post and send the id at the same time (photocpopy)

or online, but then you will be chased for for the id, so postal can be quicker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport