Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Can Martin take on the so called big Boys of cruising

New Post Advanced Search

Can Martin take on the so called big Boys of cruising

2 replies 2.7K views

Where to begin, other than ask Martin if he can help.:money:

We bought a P & O Vantage Cruise ticket that promised,
"Our promise to you...
If the Vantage Fare for your cruise reduces after you've booked, we'll give you on board spending money or an upgrade to the value of the reduction."

We booked tickets that cost us £2998 and yesterday we saw various cruise agents advertising the same grade of cabin on the same C deck for £ 1000 less. They did not advertise them as getaway prices!!!
I have spoken to my travel agent who had spoken to the P & O company at 10.30am this morning and they said there was nothing they could do as the prices now advertised were classed as getaway fare. In other words there was a way around why they did not have to meet their obligations!!!!
This is what it says in the terms and conditions,
"
The Price Promise applies to Vantage Fares published by P&O Cruises, where the Vantage Fare on a holiday you have already booked has been reduced, and the new Vantage Fare applies to the same cruise and grade of cabin, sold under the same terms and conditions (such as the deposit and cancellation terms and whether it is possible to select a cabin number). The complimentary benefit applied shall be at the absolute discretion of P&O Cruises. The Price Promise does not apply to our Getaway Fares, holiday add-ons, nor where P&O Cruises is not the tour operator selling the holiday. Complimentary benefits are non-refundable and non-transferable. Cancellation fees are assessed on the original price of your booking. Peninsular Club fare discounts will continue to be offered but the resultant fare is not classed as a reduced Vantage Fare. If you are a Peninsular Club member your on board discount applies after all on board spending money has been used."

I then spoke to a guy called Miles at P& O 12.15am 15th Feb, of P & O customer relations who again said there was nothing they could do. He said I could speak to his manager a girl named Rachel who I did at 12.30 on the same date.
She appeared to be sympathetic and said she would look at my booking and see what she could do.
At 12 50 she phoned back to say there was nothing they could do. If I cancelled and re booked it would cost me £2000, so that was not an option. But as a gesture of good will they would give us a £50 on board credit.
I said that did not resolve the issue and what else could I do. She said nothing. Even though I was distressed and a pensioner, "if she gave me anything, others would expect it too". Again she made the offer of £50 on board credit which I did not accept. I told her I was not asking for anything other than what I expected under their price promise.
I asked her where I could write to discuss my issue with them and was told customer services at P & O. There is no email address for customer services and I had already spoken to one customer relations consultant ( Miles) and then his supervisor ( Rachel). She said the answer would be the same ....they could not do anything about it and after all there was only 4 weeks to departure date.
So much for price promises!!!!!!
I did not loose my temper with them. I said I did not expect anything for nothing, just to be treated according to their promised price code of practice. I did say I was so upset, I felt like cancelling the cruise altogether, and she said THAT would loose me money!
After a year of serious health issues, a parental bereavement and no holidays for two years I feel badly treated.
I do hope Martin can help

Replies

• The very same thing has happened to our family. A booking for 8 to celebrate a 60th birthday. Vantage fare booked, with the said 'price promise' and now prices have dropped but called 'getaway'.

It really feels like we have been duped!!!!!!! Never again :mad::mad:
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The OP's earlier thread on this subject, with a lot of advice, can be found here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4449831

It looks like the OP took umbrage at the advice given as they have not been back since ... at least under that username ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support