Should I recycle the waste from carbon off-setting? Blog Discussion

Options
2»

Comments

• mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    You should ask about your industrial heritage, dark satanic mills is a reference to the working conditions encountered by employees during the industrial revolution.

In the case of my family this involved long hours operating looms in the late 19th and early twentieth century, moved onto designing both the carpets and the machines in the mid 20th century and ended up building the factories and even then selling the technology to the Chinese in the 1980's. Perversely we now find ourselves travelling to China in order to buy goods back, my brother is in fact in some Chinese province as we speak helping the locals by purchasing millions of pounds worth of product.

We should not prevent people from developing countries attaining the comforts we take for granted, borne on the backs of of ancestors, coal and oil.

Eastern factories don't yet run on sunlight, let them burn coal !
  • GSG
    GSG Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    I worry that carbon offsetting makes it feel OK. I'm not saying it is a total waste of time but that it is a way of easing ones concience rather than making one think about whether the journey is necessary.

"It's OK for me to jet off on long haul holidays as I carbon offset"
    rather than,
    "maybe I'll take some of my holiday closer to home, I'll still have a good time and it will help the environment"

Yep, totally agree. Although I don't think this is a good enough reason in itself, to disband offsetting schemes. As in any industry, offsetting organisations should be regulated in some way to prevent people being taken advantage of.

Reduction, where possible, is the best way to be environmentally friendly, whether that's in flights, packaging, electricity use, etc.
    mjr600 wrote: »
    You should ask about your industrial heritage, dark satanic mills is a reference to the working conditions encountered by employees during the industrial revolution.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I should have googled that one really.
    mjr600 wrote: »
    We should not prevent people from developing countries attaining the comforts we take for granted, borne on the backs of of ancestors, coal and oil.

Eastern factories don't yet run on sunlight, let them burn coal !

Yes, but if we properly invested in renewables then the prices would be lower for all nations. So that developing nations wouldn't have to rely entirely on coal or oil. All I'm saying is we in the industrialised world should lead by example - not tell people in other countries what to do, but do it ourselves, and help other countries where help is needed. The only thing that gets in the way of this is that it is investment in the future, which isn't always the way to make money now.
  • markb777
    markb777 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    1 there is nothing you can do, and 2 is based on misinformation.

replacement of 70% of fossil fuel energy by alternative energy would take 30 years and cost $200 billion/year extra. For the slow of skull that is a $6 trillion tab for being politically correct and empirically stupid.
    gdgdafgdafdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport