We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage Options

2

Comments

  • Ashs
    Ashs Posts: 14 Forumite
    So if I overpay on my new mortgage I won't get charged tax.

    Help me on this. I literally just moved out of my old house into a new one and started renting my old one out so I basically just have 2 mortgages.

    How will anyone find out that I'm not paying tax?
  • Bufger
    Bufger Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Ashs wrote: »
    So if I overpay on my new mortgage I won't get charged tax.

    Help me on this. I literally just moved out of my old house into a new one and started renting my old one out so I basically just have 2 mortgages.

    How will anyone find out that I'm not paying tax?

    Becuase it'll be quite clear that you have a Buy to Let mortgage which is a taxable income. They'll see this, check it ties in with your tax records and the fine you and backdate the payments leaving you in a right old mess.

    Everyone else pays their taxes (except for Jimmy Car and Starbucks) so why dont you?
    MFW - <£90k
    All other debts cleared thanks to the knowledge gained from this wonderful website and its users!
  • Let_Us_See
    Let_Us_See Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    Far too often the assumptions and advise given on this forum is really worrying.
  • Ashs wrote: »
    So if I overpay on my new mortgage I won't get charged tax.

    OK so, currently you're IO mortgage is 285. If you start overpaying this, then that figure will decrease - lets say, overtime it goes down to 200. That means you make more profit, and hence have to pay more tax.

    If on the other hand, you keep the figure of 285 of IO mortgage by not overpaying, and overpay on your main house, you're tax won't increase as you're profit wont increase on your rental property.

    In any case, just do everything by the books - you can sleep a lot easier without worrying.

    This time next year....
  • Let_Us_See
    Let_Us_See Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2013 at 11:52AM
    I will merely apply myself to the information requested in your original post.

    Your concern is that in 19 years you will still owe £140,000 and this issue is exacerbated by the £40,000 negative equity and current affordability is not an issue?


    Obviously, simply selling and redeeming the mortgage is not currently possible due to negative equity, and changing to a repayment mortgage has apparently been declined by your lender.




    You have a couple of option to explore:
    1. As the mortgage is self-financing consider making overpayments to reduce borrowing (most lenders permit 10% capital repayments a year without penalty) to eliminate negative equity at which point the property can be sold. With this option there would be no need to, as you put it, to "increase your deposit."
    2. As above in 1, and maintain for rest of term with the possible of completely repaying all the capital or a large slice of it.
    3. You don't mention if you have a current residential mortgage, only that you use rental income towards paying bills in your current house. However, if you do have a current residential mortgage is there a possibility of selling the property and adding the £40,000 negative equity to your current mortgage?
    As an aside I would recommend you declare all profit (not income) from the rented property and this CANNOT be offset against residential mortgage for tax purposes (although it can be used to reduce any residential mortgage). Hope this helps.
  • Ashs
    Ashs Posts: 14 Forumite
    My mortgage on the house I am renting isn't a buy to let mortgage. It's still the same mortgage I had when I lived there. I simply moved into my new house which is another personal mortgage and started renting my old one out. So it's as if I still live there in the eyes of Lloyds tsb really? Where does that leave me
  • Let_Us_See
    Let_Us_See Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    My mortgage on the house I am renting isn't a buy to let mortgage. It's still the same mortgage I had when I lived there. I simply moved into my new house which is another personal mortgage and started renting my old one out. So it's as if I still live there in the eyes of Lloyds tsb really? Where does that leave me

    I am now a little confused as to your "where does this leave me." In a previous post you stated you had Consent To Let and therefore Lloyds TSB would obviously assume you where no longer living at that property and renting would not be an issue. Therefore, nothing has changed from your original post, and my advice concerning your options remains the same.
  • jamesml
    jamesml Posts: 265 Forumite
    If I'm honest, I'd be worried if the property hasn't regained the £40k negative equity in 20 years time, or at least at some point in that timeframe.

    You seem to be pretty contrary - do Lloyds definitely know you are renting it out?


    As has been said, make overpayments on the mortgage and that will help the situation, reducing what you owe in 19 years time.
  • Ashs
    Ashs Posts: 14 Forumite
    But do you really think the house will gain £40k in next 20 years....?
  • sockpuppet
    sockpuppet Posts: 270 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2013 at 3:26PM
    Let_Us_See wrote: »
    Far too often the assumptions and advise given on this forum is really worrying.


    Advice - is with a C

    You adviSe people - but you give adviCe :D

    You would be an AdviSor

    ( I have a degree in english language)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.