We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Deed of Absolute Assignment

My wife and I were divorced 10 years ago. Endowment policies at that time were valued and formed part of our statement of financial whatsits. We agreed that 60% of the value of our whole estate went to my wife which was paid to her as cash and I retained the policies and pension and have paid the premiums ever since. A loose end that we never tied up was that the polices have remained in both our names. AEGON tell me that I need to see "my solicitor" and get a Deed of Absolute Assignment. I dont antipate my ex being difficult over this, it was all agreed at the time and documented (via mediation) and we remain relatively friendly- can I get a template deed from somewhere? is a solicitor the place to go?

Comments

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,513 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    An equity of redemption should have been completed at the time, IMHO. This would have left her as a life assured, but removed her as one of the beneficial owners of the policy proceeds.

    I've never heard of this Deed, but it sounds like the same kind of form and my experience is the insurer has such forms which it can send you for completion.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • At the time we seperated (2001) we went to a Mediation service which was fairly informal. It was all documented in a psuedo legal form but no court papers were involved and I'm not sure what actual legal weight it has. It was all agreed and we then both took it to independant legal advice at the time.

    We didnt actually divorce until a few years later 2005.

    I spoke to AEGON and they sent me a Deed of Assigment which said on it it wasn't suitable in divorce cases. I phoned them and queried it and then they said to get a Deed of Absolute Assignment from my solicitor (normal people dont "have" a solicitor!).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.