We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Santander won't give me another fixed deal

Santander sent me a letter to renew my fixed rate mortgage as from May I will be on the standard variable rate. However because a credit risk due to a few default (not with themselves) they wont fix my mortgage again so I will have to go on a standard variable rate from May. This at present is 4.,74% so my mortgage will go from £671 to £752 a month. I don't understand why they cant fix it, if im a risk surely fixing me on a fixed rate that means fixed lower payments means they can better guarantee my payments? My mortgage will stay with them regardless so why not fix it? what difference does it make if they fix me or not? Ive paid them on time every month for 6 years....... im just so confused by it and my LTV is 70%. Do I have the right to complain to them? I obviously cant move my mortgage as my credit rating is non existent. I am stuck :(
LBM 20.04.11:eek:
Debt free day 02.04.14 (30th Birthday!)
Barc: £4000/ Virgin: £ 3714/ HBOS £5163/
HSBC cc £1587/ Egg loan £ 7378/ Hsbc loan £ 6410/ overdraft £1800/ Dad £800/






Comments

  • Gary_zero
    Gary_zero Posts: 154 Forumite
    [QUOTE=so84;59199325_I_obviously_cant_move_my_mortgage_as_my_credit_rating_is_non_existent._I_am_stuck_:([/QUOTE]
    You've answered your own question there. They will offer you a deal to stop you leaving but they know you can't leave so they can charge you whatever they want, what can you do. Sad but true.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You have the right to complain, but they won't uphold your complaint.
    You have the right to take it to the Ombudsman, assuming Santander reject your complaint. Again, I don't think the Ombudsman will uphold it, either.

    Basically, they are allowed to offer you what they want.
    As Gary_zero says, they have no risk of losing you as a customer, so why would they charge you less?

    In terms of their logic, I guess it makes sense for them to get as much money from you while they can. If you default in, say, a year it is better for them to have had £752 a month from you rather than £671 a month for the next year.

    But really it comes down to "because they can".
  • so84
    so84 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Thanks for your advice. Yep its because they can!

    From your experience does anyone know how much the SVR fluctuates, like could my next monthly payment be £850, £950 etc?

    Thanks again.
    LBM 20.04.11:eek:
    Debt free day 02.04.14 (30th Birthday!)
    Barc: £4000/ Virgin: £ 3714/ HBOS £5163/
    HSBC cc £1587/ Egg loan £ 7378/ Hsbc loan £ 6410/ overdraft £1800/ Dad £800/






  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,279 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    This is the same sort of thing as when a client cant pay their unsecured loan/credit cards , and the bank carrys on applying interest , they know they are not likely to get it anyway , but they CAN do it , so they do
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Unless you have told them, they will not know about your credit problems. They don't do any checks once the account is operational.

    Are you on interest-only, by any chance? That can be one reason why a new deal isn't being offered.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    so84 wrote: »
    From your experience does anyone know how much the SVR fluctuates, like could my next monthly payment be £850, £950 etc?
    The good news is that each bank only has one SVR. They can't put _your_ SVR up without putting everyone else's up. So it's not something they can use to sting you.

    Generally an SVR will only move with changes to the Bank of England Base Rate.
    Having said that, Santander put theirs up from 4.24% to 4.74% some months ago without a change from the BoE. But that's the first time it has changed in the last few years.
  • so84
    so84 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Kingstreet, the guy on the phone said no fixed deals are coming up for you, it could be if you have a poor credit file or if your LTV is not enough etc....

    I am on repayment and have paid them on time every month for 6 years since I have taken the mortgage. I have lots of equity in there too. I did think that they didnt do any checks after i had the mortgage, thats why it has really upset and confused me - I thought my mortgage was safe as this is one of my priority payments. I didnt have difficulties paying this but if they make me pay more it could become a problem in the future.
    LBM 20.04.11:eek:
    Debt free day 02.04.14 (30th Birthday!)
    Barc: £4000/ Virgin: £ 3714/ HBOS £5163/
    HSBC cc £1587/ Egg loan £ 7378/ Hsbc loan £ 6410/ overdraft £1800/ Dad £800/






  • Gizmo247
    Gizmo247 Posts: 492 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
    Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    so84 wrote: »
    Santander sent me a letter to renew my fixed rate mortgage as from May I will be on the standard variable rate. However because a credit risk due to a few default (not with themselves) they wont fix my mortgage again so I will have to go on a standard variable rate from May. This at present is 4.,74% so my mortgage will go from £671 to £752 a month. I don't understand why they cant fix it, if im a risk surely fixing me on a fixed rate that means fixed lower payments means they can better guarantee my payments? My mortgage will stay with them regardless so why not fix it? what difference does it make if they fix me or not? Ive paid them on time every month for 6 years....... im just so confused by it and my LTV is 70%. Do I have the right to complain to them? I obviously cant move my mortgage as my credit rating is non existent. I am stuck :(


    In no particular order:-

    - Banks need to improve lending margins
    - Your credit profile doesn't score highly
    - Banks need to obtain fixed term deposits in order to lend for fixed term mortgages.
    - Lending is limited
    - BOE base in July 2007 was 5%. At normal rates SVR's should be around 7%. So 4.79% is a good rate. Savers are subsidising you.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.