We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
End of fixed rate to Interest only
Gaz23
Posts: 38 Forumite
My fixed rate is up in June this year, with about 79% left to pay is it possible/worth it to switch to interest only for 1/2 years to free up some cash for savings?
0
Comments
-
At 79% LTV I don't think your lender would allow you to switch to interest only unless you were experiencing difficulties in paying your mortgage.
Unless you have a repayment vehicle I doubt you could remortgage, though there is a Clydesdale product at 80% LTV through brokers where the first 3 years are on interest only before the loan moves to repayment. However I think there is a high level of payment shock when it moves over as you've got 3 years less to repay the capital. So unless your income is going to go up hugely during that period (ie qualifying as a barrister, solicitor etc) then I think its pretty risky0 -
I will of had 2 lots of 2 years on fixed rate and paid off 6% already, its really just to fre up a bit of cash to pay for other things then i would move and/or go back to paying I&C0
-
Lenders are withdrawing from interest-only lending.
With no repayment vehicle, you have virtually no chance in the current climate.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
No problem, better find other ways to be thrifty!!0
-
If you were hoping to free up cash to repay other debts. Then likely that your lender would spot this and decline your application.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
