HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The three films I keep re watching this year are the Girl with a dragon Tattoo trilogy. Original films, not the Hollywood rehash

One that was loaned us Headhunters, another Swedish film, excellent

And I know it's a rom com but we both really enjoyed up in the air. Comedy was very dark and it was very well acted.
  • ScrimpingandSaving
    Options
    Seen the original Girl with the Dragon tattoo films - bloody good. Also seen Up in the Air which I think was ok. Not seen Headhunters though. Will add that to my list :)
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • Allypops
    Allypops Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    You've been doing really well (not sure why you've been given a hard time by some)....and I like the lunchbox ideas - might nick them!
    Allypops
    Married with 2 children
    SPC5 # 1837- -
    DMP started April 2011 34.5% paid [STRIKE]£78800[/STRIKE]
    DFD: June 2019 DFW Long hauler #286
  • suki1964
    Options
    Just back from HMV with Funny Face for £3 and taken for 2.24. ( I think I'm the only person alive not seen that one)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,771 Forumite
    Options
    Didnt really like Taken that much. I'm currently into the Scandinavian crime thingies like The Bridge, rather than films.
    Noticed today that our hmv is selling everything off and closing. Which is a shame for the people working there as they were originally told it was staying open. Restrained myself from going in though as I'm meant to be on an economy drive as well.
    I did find out though that the Telegraph privilege card my mum gave me gets me a free cuppa in debenhams after 2 pm. It might be a right wing rag, but principles go out the window when I'm dehydrated!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ScrimpingandSaving
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Just back from HMV with Funny Face for £3 and taken for 2.24. ( I think I'm the only person alive not seen that one)

No, you're not.

Thing is, can buying them compete with hiring 3 every month for £5.99 a month? Plus it's easier on the environment as once I've watched a film, I rarely watch it again.

We should set up a DVD club. We can all list the DVDs we have and then offer to swap. If it gets big enough, we should have plenty of DVDs to entertain us and it saves them all going into landfill. All it would cost is the price of postage. I feel a website idea coming on! :doh:
    "Funny how just when you think life can't possibly get any worse, it does." - Marvin (Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)

DON'T PANIC
  • suki1964
    Options
    No, you're not.

Thing is, can buying them compete with hiring 3 every month for £5.99 a month? Plus it's easier on the environment as once I've watched a film, I rarely watch it again.

We should set up a DVD club. We can all list the DVDs we have and then offer to swap. If it gets big enough, we should have plenty of DVDs to entertain us and it saves them all going into landfill. All it would cost is the price of postage. I feel a website idea coming on! :doh:

Maybe. Maybe not. I'm in Northern Ireland so who knows what the service is like. My bb speed isn't fast enough to watch via download either. I only buy now and then tbh, I've films sat here that I've bought for a pound of play in their sales still not watched

I'm going to list on eBay on free listing days sometime soon. Last lot I had I car booted got 1.50 each.

Elsein if you have an ikea close, get a family card and get as much free coffee as you want. I've a friend who live 5 mins from one and she takes her two kids, puts them in the crèche and gets some "me time" with a good book and unlimited coffee :)
  • fallen121
    Options
    Agree that the Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" series is oodles better than Daniel Craig, which is stupid as it doesn't follow the book for Blomkvist to locate Harriet in Australia like it ought to.

I swapped Nectar vouchers for Amazon and bought the 3 DVD set for DH for Xmas. It has TWO HOURS worth of extra material which you don't get when it is shown on TV. Worth it for us to buy as we watch them over and over again.

The Swedish Salander took a bit of getting used to but I decided I like her better. She is more menacing.

I love the bit in the third movie where she staples that guys feet to the floor and then calls up the Hells Angels. Brilliant!
  • suki1964
    edited 22 February 2013 at 3:47PM
    Options
    All of you who like the girl, get Headhunters. Very clever indeed

Better add that its the Jo Nesbo headhunters, seems there's a few films with this title
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Is it worth me pointing out that my last post was misread? Not sure if it was the way I worded it. I was simply trying to point out that if you don't make up the £330 a month shortfall this month and every month, and continue to 'borrow' from the savings, there'll eventually be no savings left. That's when the debt will start. That's not a critisism. That's basic maths.

I've now had to justify 2 posts!! I have never had to justify posts before on MSE.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills