We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Chased for mortgage debt

Hi, not sure I'm in the right part of the forum, but hope someone can help me with this query. I had my flat repossessed in 1991, it was sold for a pittance by the mortgage company and subsequently left a debt of just over 46k. today, 21 years later I've received a solicitors letter asking me for immediate payment of the debt, as a company called Arrow Global have purchased the debt. About five years ago I received a similar letter but not from a solicitor saying that company had bought the debt, I made no contact with them and heard nothing since. Can I be forced to pay this? not that I can:eek: Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did you repay the debt post repossession at all?

    Definately 1991?
  • youthful
    youthful Posts: 24 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 6 February 2013 at 9:41PM
    Hi it was definitely 1991 June of that year, I remember because we were evicted on my sons 7th Birthday and he is 28, now 29 this year, and no I never did repay any. The mortgage company left the flat sitting boarded up for absolutely ages and then sold it, but I'm assuming it was for a pittance because of the amount they are saying is owed.
    Thanks
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ignore the letters. There's no possibility of them obtaining recovery now.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Mortgage debt is chasable for 12 years.

    After that, it becomes statute barred.

    Ignore all correspondence.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.