We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LTV calculation

Apologies if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer during the search.

Here's the scenario:
- Assume that I buy a property for £100,000 and take an 80% mortgage fixed for 3 years.
- 3 years down the line my property's market value goes up and it is valued at £200,000, for the purposes of this question let's assume that I didn't repay any of my mortgage so my equity is still £20,000 and I owe the bank £80,000

My question is: if I renegotiate my mortgage at this point, does it mean that my LTV is now 40%? (£80,000 borrowed divided by £200,000 equity).

Appreciate your help on this!

Comments

  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Potentially yes.

    Is it likely in the foreseeable future. No.

    So not something to rely on.
  • pc1271
    pc1271 Posts: 279 Forumite
    You're correct, but it goes both ways. If you bought a house 3 years ago at 80% LTV, it's more likely to have gone down in value, so your loan to value may be 85% now (ie you owe £80k on a house worth £95k).

    This can be a real danger for first time buyers who may then struggle to remortgage.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    theRman wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer during the search.

    Here's the scenario:
    - Assume that I buy a property for £100,000 and take an 80% mortgage fixed for 3 years.
    - 3 years down the line my property's market value goes up and it is valued at £200,000, for the purposes of this question let's assume that I didn't repay any of my mortgage so my equity is still £20,000 and I owe the bank £80,000

    My question is: if I renegotiate my mortgage at this point, does it mean that my LTV is now 40%? (£80,000 borrowed divided by £200,000 equity).

    Appreciate your help on this!
    In theory yes...but house prices doubling in 3 years is very unlikely unless you spend quite a lot more extending and renovating in that time.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Wow, I am impressed with how quickly you guys responded and how helpful you were. Thank you.

    The numbers were fictitious, I just used them to come up with rounded and significantly different percentages but the scenario is real. My mortgage deal is due to end in 4 months and I wanted to understand how remortgaging works. I know that similar property prices in my area went up by a small but significant percentage so I wanted to understand whether that would affect my LTV calculation. If I read correctly your answers I can approach my current/another mortgage provider and request a new valuation and use that difference + the deposit I originally as part of the LTV calculation, is that correct?
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Yes, we have just remortgaged after being on interest only for two years. Our LTV has gone from 85% to 75% without any repayment of capital. We did do fair bit of work in the house though.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    theRman wrote: »
    If I read correctly your answers I can approach my current/another mortgage provider and request a new valuation and use that difference + the deposit I originally as part of the LTV calculation, is that correct?

    You would need to pay for a new valuation. Value for mortgage purposes may be lower that selling asking price.

    Land registry amongst other sites has details of actual sold prices.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.