We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Remortgaging with a drop in income

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could give me some advise on remortgaging my property please?

I took out the mortgage in Sept 2011. The house value was £119,995. I put down £36,495 - so the amount we borrowed was £83,500. So we put down just over 30%.
I think we must now owe around the 80k mark. (The mortgage term was 30 years).

At the time I earned more than I do now, I earned 19k. Now, I'm earning around 13k.

I have been messing around with online remortgaging calculators, and when I put in my current earnings - I get errors, as I'm assuming they think I don't earn enough for the amount I now owe.

I just wanted to know, when it comes to remortgaging, if I stick to my current supplier, would this drop in income be a problem?
Or is it still possible to switch suppliers to get a better deal?

During the last 1.5 years I have never had a problem with paying the mortgage, and have a clean credit history etc etc.

The other option I have been looking at, but I'm still not sure about is, would it be better to put my partner on the mortgage?
Between us then, it would bring our income up to 25k. Which would bring the mortgage owed to only 3.2x our incomes.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You may be offered a customer retention product by your existing lender which will not require any further status checks.

    If you do consider remortgaging, the new lender will check your income and you do not earn enough to justify an £80k mortgage.

    Check the "follow-on" rate for your current lender/product and compare it with retention products available to you from your current lender.

    A transfer of equity would see you current partner included in the title to the property. If you think you wish to consider that, approach your existing lender for product options and costs of the TofE and look at remortgaging elsewhere jointly.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • skyela
    skyela Posts: 42 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    kingstreet wrote: »
    You may be offered a customer retention product by your existing lender which will not require any further status checks.

    If you do consider remortgaging, the new lender will check your income and you do not earn enough to justify an £80k mortgage.

    Check the "follow-on" rate for your current lender/product and compare it with retention products available to you from your current lender.

    A transfer of equity would see you current partner included in the title to the property. If you think you wish to consider that, approach your existing lender for product options and costs of the TofE and look at remortgaging elsewhere jointly.

    Hello,
    Thanks for your quick reply!
    If we did go down the route of staying with the same supplier, could we find out about retention deals now, or are these usually issued when the fixed deal is up?
    Sorry for all the questions!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can ask them what they are offering now, remembering that they may be different at the time you are able to confirm yours.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.