We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Can anyone calculate if this is viable??
superskintmouse
Posts: 94 Forumite
Hi I am after some buy to let advice, I own my own home with my husband value is approx £190000, mortgage is £60,000. I have found a house i would like to move to which is £259950 but i dont want to sell the one im in. Is it possible to rent this one out and live in the new one?? Only my husband works as im a stay at home mum. what income would he need?
0
Comments
-
How much deposit do you available to put down on the new property? As this will determine the interest rate options available to you.0
-
Thanks for replying Thrugelmir, I guess I would have to remortgage the house I live in now to raise the deposit? I dont have any savings I can use for the deposi.0
-
Any money saved for fees or the stamp duty?0
-
I have about £12k, is that enough?0
-
Right. Another accidental landlord case. These are getting very, very regular.
You need to remortgage the current property onto a formal buy to let product. This normally involves the rental income having to exceed the monthly mortgage interest (at 6%) by 25%.
So, you need to know what the property will attract in rent, before you can establish a borrowing figure.
For example, if the property rental value is £700pcm, this equates to a mortgage of £112,000 (112k x 6% / 12 x 125%). Using this example, you'd repay the current mortgage, £60k leaving you with £52k to put towards the next property purchase and fees.
You would be paying £250k for the new property. No-one in their right mind sells or buys for just over £250k due to the higher SD payment of 3%. So, if you buy for £250k, you'll need a mortgage of around £200k. Assuming a lender will lend 4x income, your husband would need to earn £50k pa, after credit commitments are deducted and before dependants costs are taken into account. That's you and the kids by the way.
The £12k you've got in cash will cover the selling, remortgaging and buying costs, perhaps leaving a grand or two left over...
Last for now, you'll need a lender which will ignore the let property and mortgage in the background. Some will tax you the mortgage payment like a credit commitment, so your husband would need to earn even more to cover that.
The question you really need to ask yourselves, is do you really want the hassle and the legal responsibilities of being a landlord? Could you afford to pay two mortgages if there's no tenant for a while?I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
My honest opinion is to consider selling. Lenders will expect you to at least fund the deposit on the new property not borrow from existing equity.
Injecting the equity you have will enable you to obtain a better rate of interest. Something to consider.
Letting property is not a guaranteed return. Many pitfalls and risks.0 -
ok thanks very much for your advice0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
