parmesan cheese

I used to buy parmesan cheese in a container to sprinkle on are the still available and if so where ? Thanks
Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands

Comments

• vfish
    vfish Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    All the supermarkets should have it but they may call it something like Grated Italian Hard Cheese as it's not strictly parmesan!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    vfish wrote: »
    All the supermarkets should have it but they may call it something like Grated Italian Hard Cheese as it's not strictly parmesan!

I seem to remember that a couple of years ago it vanished off the shelves - it's now been replaced with something that physically resembles Parmesan but tastes nothing like it. Was it something to do with the fact that the genuine article is made with unpasteurised milk? Maybe I dreamt it - not sure?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I seem to remember that a couple of years ago it vanished off the shelves - it's now been replaced with something that physically resembles Parmesan but tastes nothing like it. Was it something to do with the fact that the genuine article is made with unpasteurised milk? Maybe I dreamt it - not sure?

No your right, it disappear and it was probably the reason you state here.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Dried (faux) Italian Cheese smells like sick _pale_ normally sits in the area of the pasta.

You can buy from the chilled section ready grated in the cheese section in bags next to the wedges of Parmesan.

Better to by the wedge of the real stuff and grate as you need it them wrap back up and keep in the fridge. There really is no comparison and having the real thing you can add grated or finely sliced to many dishes including salads.

Pot - Italian Grated Parmesan 100G - (£20.00/kg)
    Bag - Grated Parmesan Cheese 50G - (£25.00/kg)
    Wedge - Parmigiano Reggiano 200G - (£16.25/kg)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • I buy a wedge from Aldi, then grate it all and store it in a tub in the freezer. Then when we need some I put a serving into a ramekin. A couple of years back a local shop that sold stuff approaching the sell-by was selling wedges off for 50p!! I bought 6 and grated the whole lot at once (in processor!) kept in a tub in the freezer and it lasted us about a year!! Sadly the said shop (I think i was called Captain Bargain) has since closed down, which is a real shame as I had some excellent bargains there!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I haven't seen grated parmesan for ages but I've seen another hard cheese, pecorino romano, which is made from sheep's milk.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    You can definitely buy 'grated hard cheese' in Asda - above the dried pasta usually, near the sauces. I don't particularly like it though; I find you need loads to get any flavour and before you can use the tub up it goes hard and dry in the bottom!

A wedge of real parmesan I much prefer and lasts for ages in the fridge. You can buy it relatively cheaply in Aldi.
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you all for your input I will try the wedge
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills