We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Working from home
apski
Posts: 6 Forumite
in Cutting tax
Hi, thanks in advance for any answers.
I work from home as a condition of my employment. I recently wrote to HMRC asking for the flat rate £3/week (for last tax year).
They've now adjusted my tax code for next year too but it seems they are only giving me tax relief on £200 income (presumably 50x£4/week (the new flat rate)). I say seems as they've added £200 on to my personal allowance, so by my (limited) understanding, that means I'll only actually be 20% of that £200 better off...
Is this £3 or £4/week figure that's used is a net amount you receive or the amount you get tax relief (ie. 20% of £3 or £4/week) on?
Thanks!
Apski
I work from home as a condition of my employment. I recently wrote to HMRC asking for the flat rate £3/week (for last tax year).
They've now adjusted my tax code for next year too but it seems they are only giving me tax relief on £200 income (presumably 50x£4/week (the new flat rate)). I say seems as they've added £200 on to my personal allowance, so by my (limited) understanding, that means I'll only actually be 20% of that £200 better off...
Is this £3 or £4/week figure that's used is a net amount you receive or the amount you get tax relief (ie. 20% of £3 or £4/week) on?
Thanks!
Apski
0
Comments
-
tax relief only so 20% of 200
this is because business expenses can be offset against income and then the tax is calculated at whatever rate you pay.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
Thanks CLAPTON.
Have to say that's a lot less worth getting excited about! 80p a week for gas/elec for standard tax payer....0 -
Thanks CLAPTON.
Have to say that's a lot less worth getting excited about! 80p a week for gas/elec for standard tax payer....
maybe
But really it is for your employer to pay the costs of employing you.
And enjoy the 80p and don't spend it all at once.EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards