Back on the MSE wagon

Replies

• mrs_motivatedmrs_motivated Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I need to share momentous news ...... Drum roll please I have done it, the very first one ever :D. Yep I have popped my mortgage free cherry so to speak :T

I had £30 left from the weekend and when I checked my bank I had a refund (returned trousers which obviously have been labelled a size 14 in error as they erm wouldn't go past my thighs :cool: ). Anyway, that means there is £68.38 in my current account and seven pounds ninety four in my purse (payday on Thursday)

So with shaking hands and manic grin I pressed the send button and MADE MY VERY FIRST MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENT. :T

I am soooo chuffed, off to have a bath, complete with candles, bubbles and glass of vino.

See ya later
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oops meant to say I paid £65.38 :D

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • Hi Mrs motivated. What a fantastic start to your MFW journey. Well done.
    I was where you are now in October 2010, newly divorced and with my new all-mine house with large mortgage (109.000) which is very ginormous to me :( , DD in uni but living at home and DS also at home in a low paid job, but work is a good habit to have.
    Now, DD has her own home and a career, and although i'm starting OP's this month and nowhere near getting the house furnished with the things I want, I'm happy and have see a REDUCTION in monthly bills such as water (ona meter) and gas/electricity.
    I guess what I'm trying to say and waffling instead is.. You're doing great so far and things can only get better :)
  • Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay! Well done. First of many I'm sure.
    :T
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    pixnmix wrote: »
    Hi Mrs motivated. What a fantastic start to your MFW journey. Well done.
    I was where you are now in October 2010, newly divorced and with my new all-mine house with large mortgage (109.000) which is very ginormous to me :( , DD in uni but living at home and DS also at home in a low paid job, but work is a good habit to have.
    Now, DD has her own home and a career, and although i'm starting OP's this month and nowhere near getting the house furnished with the things I want, I'm happy and have see a REDUCTION in monthly bills such as water (ona meter) and gas/electricity.
    I guess what I'm trying to say and waffling instead is.. You're doing great so far and things can only get better :)

Thanks pixnmix, its a great feeling having an 'all mine house' isn't it? It sounds like your doing great in reducing your bills my water bill seems horrific ( on a meter) and £60 a month :eek: I keep searching for the hidden swimming pool I must be supplying :D.

My DD is in her first year at uni and her maintenance loan just pays her rent and leaves her about £5 a year to live on! So bank of mum is relied on, I want her to do well and am supportive of her going to uni but can't wait until she graduates, that will be another £280 a month to get rid of this leg iron of a mortgage ;)

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • edited 29 January 2013 at 8:40PM
    mrs_motivatedmrs_motivated Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2013 at 8:40PM
    Well I am in smug mode today, I haven't spent any money, not one single penny :D. Remembered packed lunch and the only danger spot was the corner shop on the way home when I could hear the Pinot and bars of choccie calling me with seductive tones! But (ok I probably was a bit naughty and drove faster than I should past the door of the shop) but I made it home, purse in tact and buttoned down the hatches :T

Only two more bedtimes to payday now and then £300 can be hurled at the mortgage :j.

Oh and I have a sort of date (which is scaring the !!!! out of me). A male friend, known him and his family for a few years has offered to take me to the ballet to see swan lake and then for dinner....... So in between pirouetting around the living room in girly excitement (think Mavis the fat fairy) i am panicing about a night out with a man .... He's a great guy and we do get on and I have been single over a year but........terrified! My response to him was can I think about it and get back to you (how cringey could kick my own butt)

Sorry for inane ramblings this diary is turning into free therapy

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • Lois_ELois_E Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh how exciting! Hope you have a wonderful evening. :D
    Starting again 13/4/19
    Home loan 1: £21,102.50 Home loan 2: £7,698.99
    Total owed: £28,801.49
  • Hi Mrs Motivated:wave:

Just wanted to pop by and congratulate you on your op....you go girl:D. It is quite addictive this oping lark, but in a good way I guess:)

Oh my goodness, how exciting a hot date;) and I've got to say swan lake and dinner after is soooo posh...the best I got was a night out on the Tuxedo Princess on the Tyne and a Donna kebab for afters:rotfl:

Hope you have a fab time and the Mr Darcey treats you like a laydee....you must let us know how you get on:)

Ps if it makes you feel any better my water meter bills are not far off yours and I certainly don't possess a swimming pool;)

Del B xxx
    L.B.M Dec 12 mort £91728 (£7327 sec loan incl)
    Feb 13 mort £89629:D
    2013 Challenge to op £5400/1700 paid so far
    Aim - to be mortgage free Jan 2020:j was 2025:eek:
    I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners have much more fun......:D
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks DB, its is posh isn't it ( never been to ballet before) and not a clue what to wear. . . Still it's not until middle of feb so got a couple of weeks to stress.

Lol at Mr Darcy, he'd better be a gentleman cos he sure ain't getting his hands on my mortgage :rotfl:

Feeling better about the water bills, but there is only two of us most of the time - so normally two quick showers a day and washing machine is a large drum thing with an Eco and water saving feature on it. And we are both at work all day . . . So I can't understand how I use so much.

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
  • I have a water meter Mrs M, and after 2 years living in this house my monthly bill has just last month reduced by £15. My suggestion is to submit regular readings to your water supplier. Also look at ways to save water. There are some threads on the forums here that may help.
    It takes a bit of time for the water company to adjust payment estimates apparantly :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides