Wedding for two (partner and me) + our two children

Options
Fluffpuff
Fluffpuff Posts: 58 Forumite
edited 25 January 2013 at 6:12PM in Weddings & anniversaries
Its not the wedding I had in mind and I do feel that we will be missing out but was wondering if there are any venues which cater for these kind of weddings and what they can do to make it special.

I quite like the idea of Gretna Green however I'm confused because theres so many websites and different prices on each.

I loved the idea of Comlongon Castle but that seems extremely expensive seeing as we have no guests.

If anyone has some ideas that would be great. I'd like just a quick ceremony followed by a meal for us all somewhere a little private followed by maybe a little day out and overnight stay in the same place and a little extra something. :)
Make extra money January 2013: £4.40 / £30
Free bingo winnings 2013: £0 / Pay ALL debt in 2013 member 044: £854.44 / £3770 :j Lose 22lbs in 5 months: 0 / 22 :j

Comments

• pinkskyatnight
    Options
    hiya i cant really help with any ideas as i am currently trying to plan some sort of wedding. i am not really a big family person, only met dad 3 times etc but i am too-ing and fro-ing between a 'normal' wedding inviting all family and friends etc or doing something amazing just me and my fiance. its so hard to make a decision. i just cant bear spending x amount of money on one day for people i probably dont even speak too etc..
    im sorry that you got a frosty response from your family. you deserve to do something amazing to celebrate. i hope you find what you are looking for :)
    Debt Free Wannabe since Sept 2012!
    £8,106.27 / £10,770.00 - 75.26% paid!! Getting closer!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013!!
    Thanks to those that post freebies and competitions!
  • Fluffpuff
    Fluffpuff Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2013 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Aw thank you Pinksky :)

Its quite sad really that some families seem to be this way.

Ooh I could go on! But I won't haha x
    Free bingo winnings 2013: £0 / Pay ALL debt in 2013 member 044: £854.44 / £3770 :j Lose 22lbs in 5 months: 0 / 22 :j
  • pinkskyatnight
    Options
    its horrible but they do say that you cant choose family! shame huh! forget about the ex! at the end of the day he chose YOU! remember that! i can kind of relate tho, i have been with my fiance for 4.5 years but i still feel like his family preferred his ex over me, my fiances sister and her still chat happily on facebook etc even though the skank cheated on him and hes never told his family thats why they broke up! men!!
    sibling rivalry can be very hard and unfortunately when there are 2+ children they do seem to get treated differently. my example is my mum and her brother my uncle, my mum can never do anything right in the eyes of her mum and dad but my uncle can do little wrong!! its so unfair!
    it sounds to me like you should just please the 4 of you and worry about the consequences later lol
    vegas? altho not great for small kids i suppose! tropical beach somewhere and 2 week holiday etc?? my friend was looking at somewhere in antigua which had the longest aisle! and because they were staying there for 2 weeks they got the wedding for free.
    Debt Free Wannabe since Sept 2012!
    £8,106.27 / £10,770.00 - 75.26% paid!! Getting closer!
    Debt Free by Xmas 2013!!
    Thanks to those that post freebies and competitions!
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget you'll need witnesses, so maybe do you each have a best friend/sibling you'd want there? If not, are you ok for it to be random people?

Whereabouts (ish) are you looking and I'll see if I know anywhere :)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
  • yabajaz
    yabajaz Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    How old are the kiddies ? As your plans will differ if they are very young or mouchy teens.

Plan a week at centreparks and get wed at one of the local registry offices.
    "A wise mum remembers her friends at all times, a foolish mum, only when she has need of them..."
  • IloveaScotsman
    Options
    We are doing exactly this as!

We were planning a big wedding in August but I was getting so stressed with friends and family saying they couldn't make certain dates, saying they may not be able to come because of the expense, and a million things that I won't go into here. We had a good chat and decided to elope to Gretna and tell everyone after the event!

We are going to have a big party in August so we can still have our first dance and speeches etc but without all the formality (and expense!) of a wedding reception.

We are getting married at Gretna Hall hotel (google it!). We are only inviting my brother, OH's sister, their partners and our 2 kids. :-)
    Getting married to Mr M [STRIKE]August[/STRIKE] April 2013!:T
    Wedding diet - 16lbs:j
    Rachel x
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I got married at Comlongon castle, and it was stunning, food stunning, i couldnt fault it. I got a cake from rainbowsugarcraft who deliver all around that area, stunning. On the websire mine is called 'summer comlongon' if you want a look!!
  • Fluffpuff
    Options
    cats2012 wrote: »
    Don't forget you'll need witnesses, so maybe do you each have a best friend/sibling you'd want there? If not, are you ok for it to be random people?

Whereabouts (ish) are you looking and I'll see if I know anywhere :)

I don't mind it being other people.

I'm looking at Gretna Green at the minute or close to there as its only 2 hours away from where I live. So maybe the bottom end of Scotland or anywhere in England/Wales/West Coast of Ireland that maybe has some kind of resort that we could spend a few days in afterwards.

I quite liked the idea of Centerparcs but they no longer have a wedding licence. That would have been perfect because we could have had a mini honeymoon where it would be fun for the kids too.
  • Fluffpuff
    Options
    yabajaz wrote: »
    How old are the kiddies ? As your plans will differ if they are very young or mouchy teens.

Plan a week at centreparks and get wed at one of the local registry offices.

They are 4 and 7 although next April when I want to get married they will be 5 and 8.

Ah never thought of a local registry office near to centerparcs. I wanted to get married at Centerparcs but they no longer do this. Thanks!
  • Scotsbride
    Options
    Fluffpuff wrote: »
    Its not the wedding I had in mind and I do feel that we will be missing out but was wondering if there are any venues which cater for these kind of weddings and what they can do to make it special.

I quite like the idea of Gretna Green however I'm confused because theres so many websites and different prices on each.

I loved the idea of Comlongon Castle but that seems extremely expensive seeing as we have no guests.

If anyone has some ideas that would be great. I'd like just a quick ceremony followed by a meal for us all somewhere a little private followed by maybe a little day out and overnight stay in the same place and a little extra something. :)

if you want a gretna wedding talk to the annan registrar office as they will not be able to advise on how much it costs but provide a list of places that offer the service you are looking for.

just a word about the partner + kids you legally require 2 witnesses to witness the service.
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport