PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

tiedying clothes

Options
Can anybody give me an idiots guide on how to and what you need thanks.

Comments

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    It is years since I tie dyed anything, but I seem to remember you get your T shirt or whatever and gather up small bunches of it, tie with string and then dye. When it is dry you get circles of undyed fabric where the string was. I hope this helps.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • cat64
    cat64 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Bonnie, maybe this link will be of some help? (sorry don't know how to do the clever link thing!!).

http://www.polo-shirts.co.uk/tie_dye.php
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB MEMBER 0082 :hello:
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    he he he ... I glanced at the title & thought it said ' tidying clothes ' - & do you know I thought I'm glad there's someone else like me out there !! :rotfl: time for bed methinks
  • moodykerry
    Options
    It is years since I tie dyed anything, but I seem to remember you get your T shirt or whatever and gather up small bunches of it, tie with string and then dye. When it is dry you get circles of undyed fabric where the string was. I hope this helps.

This is how I used to do it. I always did a cold dye and added lots of salt to help the colour set.
  • Harrietxxx
    Harrietxxx Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    Elastic bands are good instead of string, just keep twisting and wrapping till they are tight.

I too thought it said 'tidying clothes':rotfl: one of my biggest downfalls
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    I've done loads of tie-dying. I would say if you want to do clothes, use the machine dylon dyes, the little tubs that you do in a bowl fade quite badly in my experience. They are easy to use, basically you tap the dye and lots of salt into the holes in your washing machine's drum (the instructions will tell you what order it goes in, I can't remember) and wash on as hot a wash as you can.
    I also always do a second wash with the clothes still tied up to get any excess dye out (so it doesn't run onto the paler parts).
    Basically just get some string and tie lots round, make sure you tie it as tight as you can as it seems to loosen slightly when the clothes get wet, and don't use wool - I did that once and it stretched in the machine and I had no 'tied' bits.
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    trigger2 wrote: »
    he he he ... I glanced at the title & thought it said ' tidying clothes ' - & do you know I thought I'm glad there's someone else like me out there !! :rotfl: time for bed methinks

You're not the only one - I was expecting ramblings on the benefits of those sock divider things you see in Sunday paper catalogues next to the magnifying credit card :eek:
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • suzywoozy_3
    suzywoozy_3 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    We do tie-dying every summer, the kids always request that we do it. We use elastic bands.

You can pop a small round stone or marble under the material and keep it in place with an elastic band, if you repeat this around a piece of fabric it makes nice circular patterns.

We use dylon cold water dye. It is very straight forward if you follow the instructions in the packet.

The reason it is a summer activity is that I insist we do it outside so we don't spill dye everywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure