We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Gift Basket for Mum diagnosed with cancer?

Options
Hello

My mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer two weeks ago, she is 67 years old.

As you can imagine, we are in shock and devastated. We aren't sure yet what treatment she can have until all her scans are back next week.

I was googling gifts for cancer patients but all the baskets seem to be in USA.

I'm thinking of making one myself, but not sure what items to include and just need some inspiration please.

Most of the gifts I've seen are nice girly pink things for breast cancer but haven't seen much stuff about for rectal cancer patients.

Any ideas would be good, thank you x

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 January 2013 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Just had a quick look at this site- scroll down , various ideas;
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2134869_gift-basket-cancer-patient.html

If you click on some of the links on the page there are more ideas

If you know what some of the treatment involves it may be easier to choose things.

For a start what about a pot of bulbs?- I've seen some in Morrisons(already growing) and Co-op today- (need planting)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £88.25 spent!!!
  • vikki_louise
    vikki_louise Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hiya, there's been lots of similiar threads in the past so if you do a search they should come up. Have you thought about making your own one combining some of the ideas from the American gift baskets with things you know your mum likes. I would be tempted not to do a big basket and instead do little and often, maybe a bigger gift a few days after a round of chemo (or whenever it is she will feel worse) and little things to perk her day up. It depends on treatment but if she's in hospital a lot lip balm is a must, hand cream which doesn't have a strong smell (I find some perfumed ones easier to cope with than some of the unperfumed as they smell stronger to me), silly things sent through the post 'to make you smile', mints to suck on, straws if she gets mouth ulcers, nice blanket to snuggle under, DVDs, photo frame, card holder, random cards, nice CDs, and a big great planned at the end of treatment as something to look forward to during the bad days
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • msgigglewick
    Options
    Some nice moisturisers, lipgloss, books, puzzles, music? straws are a good idea as above.
    Totally debt free wohooo 2014
    Christmas 2014
    Presents bought **** rrp **** Saved ****
    *SAVE*SAVE*SAVE*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts