Charges while abroad

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
2 replies 452 views
elliedvcelliedvc Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
Does anyone know what charges banks are allowed to make when you withdraw cash from an English account while abroad? I recently spent 6 months in Spain and have found out they charged me commission as well as a flat fee every time I withdrew cash. This seems rather extreme to me, so I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if this is normal practice - thanks!

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it's a service thay can charge whatever they like, providing they keep you informed of any changes.

Nationwide, for example, make no charges for overseas debit card transactions as a marketing decision. With others a flat fee and/or a %age are the norm
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elliedvc wrote: »
    I recently spent 6 months in Spain and have found out they charged me commission as well as a flat fee every time I withdrew cash. This seems rather extreme to me, so I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if this is normal practice - thanks!
    Yes, that's normal practice and always has been. Open an account with Nationwide and keep enough cash there for drawing against on future trips, it wouldn't cost you a penny.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals