Charges while abroad

Does anyone know what charges banks are allowed to make when you withdraw cash from an English account while abroad? I recently spent 6 months in Spain and have found out they charged me commission as well as a flat fee every time I withdrew cash. This seems rather extreme to me, so I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if this is normal practice - thanks!

Replies

• Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As it's a service thay can charge whatever they like, providing they keep you informed of any changes.

Nationwide, for example, make no charges for overseas debit card transactions as a marketing decision. With others a flat fee and/or a %age are the norm
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Forumite
    elliedvc wrote: »
    I recently spent 6 months in Spain and have found out they charged me commission as well as a flat fee every time I withdrew cash. This seems rather extreme to me, so I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if this is normal practice - thanks!
    Yes, that's normal practice and always has been. Open an account with Nationwide and keep enough cash there for drawing against on future trips, it wouldn't cost you a penny.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mortgage rates

What can you (or should you) do?

MSE News

Train strikes

Your refund rights explained

MSE News