Council Tax Band adjustment - who benefits?


Following up on MSEs great advice I have been informed that my council tax band has now been downgraded from H to G..a £300 difference for this year alone :beer:

But the rating has been backdated to 1993! I have only been in the house 15 months, should I be rewarded all of it..(after all I did the work) or just what I have been which case would the Council bother to get in touch with the previuos owners?



  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    You are only entitled for the period for which you are the charge payer,any other periods since 1993 would remain payable to the charge payer at that time.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • PoppycatPoppycat Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    How long did it take you to hear as I applied about 6 weeks ago

    I only moved in Feb 2007 so I would of thought it would be backdated should you win to the date you moved in
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals