creditexpert.co.uk How safe???

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
10 replies 12.4K views
mark_stepsmark_steps Forumite
858 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
My OH has signed up to a 30 day trial to get reports etc on the history of their account. All seems above board with the site. Is it a safe and legit site to use? I know they need to cancel the account before the 30 day free trial runs out then they pay £5.99 per month (ish).

Just curious as to if anyone else has used them.

Replies

• dfwzdfwz Forumite
    65 Posts
    I used them. I stuck with them after the trial so that I can access my credit report online all the time. Don't bother with purchasing the 'credit score' they sell though.

They do have occasional down time every now and then but other than that it's an ok/legitimate site.
  • mleonard79mleonard79 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark_steps,

Creditexpert.co.uk is the website of Experian, one of the big three credit reference agencies, and is entirely safe and above board. If you do cancel the trial after the 30 days are up (as most people tend to) and want to have another look at your Experian credit file at any point then you can always send away a £2 cheque to them and they will send you a written copy of your credit file (this can be done with the other 2 agencies as well.) If you want to see the whole picture it's always best to get the files on record with all 3 agencies as different institutions often report to different agencies so just getting one of the reports doesn't usually show you everything. Equifax also run a 30 day trial but you can only send away for a report from Callcredit.

Regards

Michelle
    :hello: :hello: :hello:
  • JamesJames Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want FREE warnings of attacks on your Credit Files if anyone attempts to obtain a loan, credit card, open a bank account in your name then consider the following:

Thumbprint Protection Against ID Fraud.

This is the Safest, Most Efffective and Cheapest form of ID Protection available!
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see how this provides protection, but what is the mechanism for providing warning?
  • JamesJames Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I can see how this provides protection, but what is the mechanism for providing warning?

Any application for any financial product or service that requires a Credit Check, received without a Thumbprint should result in the Bank/Lender being very inquisitive.

No print = an indication and warning to the lender.
  • Tori_BellatrixTori_Bellatrix Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    mark_steps wrote: »
    My OH has signed up to a 30 day trial to get reports etc on the history of their account. All seems above board with the site. Is it a safe and legit site to use? I know they need to cancel the account before the 30 day free trial runs out then they pay £5.99 per month (ish).

Just curious as to if anyone else has used them.

Yup, I use credit expert and pay the monthly £5.99.

No problems at all ... :D
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • kayla23kayla23 Forumite
    7 Posts
    I have used, Experian and credit expert in the past and had no problems,

One of them, I think experian gave me some reasons behind my credit score being poor and how to improve it which i have since done with success.

Ta
    :o
    Kayla Jones
    Learning to look after my money better
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    27.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No print = an indication and warning to the lender.

OK, sorry I interpreted your post to mean warnings to the consumer because it said "if YOU want free warnings....".

But glad I've clarified what you meant.

No warning to the consumer.
  • JamesJames Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lisyloo wrote: »
    OK, sorry I interpreted your post to mean warnings to the consumer because it said "if YOU want free warnings....".

But glad I've clarified what you meant.

No warning to the consumer.

Quite simple really an application received without a PRINT should be treated as fraudulent. The lender would then be oblidged to do either or both of these things.

A. Try to contact the person signed up to Thumbprinting. (FREE WARNING).

B. Alert the police. (FREE WARNING)

If the lender failed to do at least either A or B, they'd have some explaining to do to the genuine person when they decided to check their credit file.

I hope this clarifies things.
  • g4fneg4fne Forumite
    232 Posts
    Hi all.

I have recently carried out the 30day free trial to check my credit rating with experian. They have since sent me a letter connecting me to my wife of 3 years.

Luckily i have never had any financial issues but In my wife's previous marriage (pre 2001) she had a few financial problems including reposesion & CCJ's etc.

Because of this, we have never had, or been offered a joint account & everything financial is in my name alone ... So "financially" we are not connected. My worry is, if they think we are connected then my credit rating will plummet.

Experian have asked me to write to them stating if the "financial" connection that they have assumed is incorrect.

Even though she is my wife, can i reject the financial connection to hopefully prevent my credit rating being affected ???

Any advice would be appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals