We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking for money instead of gifts.....

Options
Hiya

I know some of you wont agree with this but I'm not asking for opinions just a bit of help!

Its my 4/5year old sons birthday shortly and I would like to ask his classmates for £2 or £3 so he can buy something he is saving up for rather than 30 presents. Its just after xmas and our house is full of toys!

So what I am looking for is a wee poem I could put in with the inivitation.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Comments

• timnlaura
    timnlaura Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Great idea! Is there something in particular he is saving up?

I will get my thinking cap on - although im not a quick thinker so someone might think of something first lol x
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It's a great idea.

I expect they will all love the idea, as they could not get a lot for £2.

Can you let us know what it is he wants ?
    It will help the poem. And the parents may like to know what their money is going towards.
    I have started a poem but being able to put an actual gift in the second bit would be good.

I know you would normally buy me a gift,
    But can I please ask for £2 instead,
  • poohzee
    poohzee Posts: 439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He is wanting to get Skylanders Giants and and a kids tablet, have spoken to some of the school mums and they are happy to do it - £3-£5
    Thanks for your help :-)
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its def a good idea, as said before, you couldnt get a lot for that little anyway. And your son gets what he wants instead of a lot of small things he wont play with :)

We do something similar with our anniversaries in the family, there are 6 anniversaries per year, and we all put in £20 each for each anniversary, so we all get a decent big present instead of 5 small presents we wouldnt use. It works well for everyone. :) sorry to go off on a tangent there, haha
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I think it works out cheaper and saves a shopping trip to give money like that. I find the expected price range for presents these days tends to be £5 - £10 per child.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • cdsmiler
    cdsmiler Posts: 956 Forumite
    Options
    Brilliant idea. Will keep an eye on this thread for ideas for DD's party next December! We have enough pressies in December with her birthday and Christmas, so this would be a great idea. She is only 3 at the moment, and wants a party more than any actual pressies.....
    :p Addicted to Disneyland Paris! :p
    :snow_grin Planning Christmas 2014! :snow_laug
    :D DD born 17th December 09! :D
  • poohzee
    Options
    I usually spend about £8 - £10 on a birthday present depending on what I have got in sales so it may be a £20 that I bought for £10 but I wouldnt feel comfortable asking for more than £5 x
  • poohzee
    Options
    heres what i ended up with peoples help!
    I’m having a party and I hope you’ll come
    We’re planning on having a whole lot of fun!
    I’ve been thinking hard, and I have an idea
    That saves my bedroom looking like Ikea!
    I’m trying to save for something specific
    And, if you could help, well, that would be terrific!
    I’m a little shy but I’d still like to ask
    (And save you from another task!)
    Please can I have a cash donation?
    To help increase my Skylander formation!
    I hope you don’t mind or think me too rude
    But I’d really appreciate the help if you could!
    (No more than £5 please!)
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The idea and the poem sound great. My one comment however is, perhaps you could suggest even less than a fiver?
    My reason? It might stop the one-up-manship that I understand is all too rife with children's parties! I think parents would be even happier if the going rate was £3, rather than £5-£10!! It would set a new MSE trend!

Hope you have a great time
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £88.25 spent!!!
  • themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Options
    I think its as bad as asking for money when you get married, i would never do that. The parents of the kids invited might not want to give money. What next, a toy list to pick from on line?

Its really rude. gratefully accept whatever presents you get, and buy him the expensive present yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport