Serps contracted out compensation?

Hi,

I recently had a phone call from a claims company saying that when I was sold contracting out in '89, iI was wrongly advised, and could be liable for compensation. Has anyone else had this, or tried to do it themselves, I called the FSA and they said there could be a case to answer, but my IFA said probably not (it was not him that sold it to me!).

The claims company wanted an up front fee and a %age, so I said no to that, but it got me thinking if there is anything that we can do ourselves like the endowment thing.

Anyone got any more info/ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Its a scam to get money off you up front. We get about one of these a week and mostly from people being cold called by unregulated claims companies.

Contracting out is not a mis-sale. There are lots of benefits to contracting out as well as disadvantages. I would listen to the IFA as 1) he/she knows your info 2) he/she has no issues whether you claim or not 3) how do you know if you are worse off or better off?

Take a look at this thread from 2 days ago:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=438759
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure