Palm Oil Free Chocolate Spread

Options
lesleystrawson
lesleystrawson Posts: 283 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 January 2013 at 5:37PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Evening all

After being visited at school today by an anti-palm oil speaker, my 10-year old daughter was insistent that she would never eat Quality Street, Pringles etc etc again - then became very deflated when I asked her if she was therefore going to give up her favourite chocolate spread!

I am searching online for recipes to try and have a go at making our own for a sweet treat, but am struggling to find a 'ready-made' jar without palm oil. Does it exist, or is the exact nature of palm oil the ingredient that helps the spread not melt??

Lesley

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
'My father told me to go for it.
So I went for it. But it had gone.'

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chocolate philli is gorg, but may not be a childs cup of tea. It definately has a hint of cheese with the chocolate, think chocolate cheesecake.

Its not as sweet as most of the kids type of chocolate spreads.
    Delicious though nom nom

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2013 at 4:14PM
    Options
    , or is the exact nature of palm oil the ingredient that helps the spread not melt??

Palm oil is the cheapest vegetable oil that does this.
    It melts at the right temperature to be spreadable.
    Alternatives are hydrogenated vegetable oil, coconut oil, or animal fats.
    Learning about consequences of principled decisions is a good thing to do early.
    It's very easy to say 'I won't' - if the alternatives are free to you.
  • BrownEyedGirlUK
    Options
    Look for the ethical, organic, or fair trade chocolate spreads from charities such as Oxfam, ethical online superstores, or your local health food shop. Some of these may still contain palm oil, but look for this wording "The certified sustainable palm oil is purchased from suppliers who are members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)". Hope this helps.
  • Scampydogdog
    Options
    It's not all about ethics, remember palm oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, coconut oil, and animal fats increase your risk of cardiovascular disease.
  • distinctd
    Options
    Evening all

After being visited at school today by an anti-palm oil speaker, my 10-year old daughter was insistent that she would never eat Quality Street, Pringles etc etc again - then became very deflated when I asked her if she was therefore going to give up her favourite chocolate spread!

I am searching online for recipes to try and have a go at making our own for a sweet treat, but am struggling to find a 'ready-made' jar without palm oil. Does it exist, or is the exact nature of palm oil the ingredient that helps the spread not melt??

Lesley

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Do you think that palm oil is the only thing ethically wrong with these products? If you're eating any processed food from a brightly coloured package like that, it's ethically wrong on so many levels.

No chocolate spread will be ethical, there's no ethics in capitalism, just pure greed, profit above everything else.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Avoiding palm oil is initially difficult. It's in just about everything from shampoo to cakes, while eating animal products like cheese or meat tends to mean eating palm oil indirectly as it's often used in animal feed.

I am however doing what I can to avoid it. I've swapped most synthetic detergents which are often derived from palm oils for soda crystals, and I bake more with liquid oils like sunflower and olive oil rather than margarine too. In fact, in Spain we make many very good cakes with olive oil. While in the UK fatless sponge cakes are another good example.

So, I think avoiding palm oil can be done, but it will cost some time and effort. If you just want to pick up packets of stuff in the shops or use everyday recipes, palm oil is not so practical to avoid. However, once you've learned how to make things without palm oil, it's as easy as any other recipe. The main point about avoiding it is that I found it difficult at first, now it's fairly easy and doesn't cost much effort, so if you really want to do this don't be too worried about the initial frustrations. It gets better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure