Can anyone please give me some advice.

Options
Hello

About 3 months ago i recieved a letter from a debt recovery company saying i owed £402 to a company called shopacheck, who id never heard of before. I called the debt recovery company and explained that i did not have any outstanding debt with anyone and had never heard of the company. So i came to the conclusion that someone had borrowed money using my name and address and also knew my date of birth. The debt recovery company told me that i had to report it to the police and get a crime number in order for my name to be taken off the debt, but when i went to the police the officer i spoke to thought it was quite funny and didn't take me seriously. I called the company again to explain that the police wont give me a crime number and they were very unhelpful as to what i should do next. I want to contact the company shopacheck and ask if they can provide the form that was filled out for the loan so i can prove that its not my signature. Can anyone tell me how to go about finding out stuff like that i really dont know where to begin.

Many thanks.

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HIya

right first off, its simply not acceptable for the police not to take your crime seriously.

I would take this as near to the top as you can get.Independent police complaints comiision should be yourt port of call .

Next up you need to ask for a copy of the credit agreement. in any case they cant enforce the debt if they dont have one.

Shopacheck is a cheque cashing place I thought, someone MUST have got hold of your chequebook- any ideas?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • jimsmum
    jimsmum Posts: 4,044 Forumite
    Options
    shopacheck round my area are people who knock on your door ask if you want to buy vouchers(high street ones) and offer you to pay a certain amout back weekly,usually you pay back about twice os much.
    I'd go back to the police and ask them why they dont take crime seriously??
    Ask them what they were paid for and dont leave until you get a crime number.
    I heart The Capital ;)
  • Kazzy76
    Options
    Hiya,

Thanks for replying.
    Well when i was telling a member of my family about the situation they told me that shopacheck was a company that knocked on your door and offered you a loan, and apparently you just sign your name (or someones elses they are not fussed) and you have cash in your hand within 5 mins, it's absolutly unbelieveable that they can do that. When i asked the debt company for shopachecks details so i could call them they told me they couldn't give me them for "legal" reasons i can't believe im telling them it's not my debt and they don't want to help to sort it out. I don't have a cheque book so it wont be that i think someone has used my details at the door they even know my date of birth.
    So police complaints and a copy of the credit agreement ill get on to that.

Thanks for helping.
  • joeblack066
    joeblack066 Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Options
    When you get a copy of the credit agreement, (signature dates etc), if you have an inkling of who you think may have done this, the Police can check the sig against ant other examples of the person you suspects handwriting. They CAN do this, don't take no for an answer. A 'friend' did a similar thing to me years ago, fight to get it sorted!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure