Pedals for daily use (no straps/SPD)

Options
Having slipped a few times on my pedals recently I'm looking to see if there's any particularly recommended ones which are good for daily use. The ones I'm using at the moment are just the bog standard ones that came with the bike, the pedals that came with the mountain bike are bigger and less spiky but never really slipped off them even in much rougher conditions and when I have caught the pedal on my shin it's only led to minor bruising rather than the mess the other pedals make.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My pedals were slippery when wet. They have a central alloy bar with a cage around the outside. I sanded the central bar with coarse sandpaper to roughen the surface which has made a big difference.
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Having slipped a few times on my pedals recently I'm looking to see if there's any particularly recommended ones which are good for daily use. The ones I'm using at the moment are just the bog standard ones that came with the bike, the pedals that came with the mountain bike are bigger and less spiky but never really slipped off them even in much rougher conditions and when I have caught the pedal on my shin it's only led to minor bruising rather than the mess the other pedals make.

Thanks,
    John
    If you like the MTB pedals then can you not just buy another pair of them?

Regardless of manufacturers blurb, if you find something that works for you personally then stick with it. You don't need discipline specific equipment.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    I have pedals similar to these. Bought from the LBS.

No problems with slipping as the raised bits on the pedal fit in the treads on my trainers / shoes. Not very leg friendly though :)

Dave
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DCodd wrote: »
    If you like the MTB pedals then can you not just buy another pair of them?

Regardless of manufacturers blurb, if you find something that works for you personally then stick with it. You don't need discipline specific equipment.

My plan is to try the MTB pedals on the hybrid but thought it was worth seeing if people had any particular pedals they liked for similar use which would be worth considering. Also I cycle a lot more on the hybrid than on the mountain bike so it may be the MTB pedals seem better but it's only because I've spent much less time on them in fewer different circumstances. I don't slip that often on the pedals it's just when it happens it's painful!

Dave, I think that's a similar design to what I'm using - you can just see the pedal on this picture:

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/My-New-Bike/i-FWnF6Wb/0/XL/P1030927-XL.jpg

They seemed fine originally but recently I've slipped a bit more on them so they're possibly just a bit worn (bike is around 16 months old). As you say they're not leg friendly and it takes a while for damage to the shins to heal.

John
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have three pairs of these, used for hybrid, road and general cycling; have a resonable gripping surface and don't recall slipping on them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-pb390-commuter-pedals/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=MKS-MKS_PB390_Commuter_Pedals-Black
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    armyknife wrote: »
    I have three pairs of these, used for hybrid, road and general cycling; have a resonable gripping surface and don't recall slipping on them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-pb390-commuter-pedals/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=MKS-MKS_PB390_Commuter_Pedals-Black

I've never seen those non-slip pads before - what are they made of?
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just fit toe clips with straps?
    Better for the road and will give you better power when peddling
    I even use mine when off road but have the straps loose
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Options
    GT60 wrote: »

Probably because the OP doesn't like straps, the clue is in the thread title: Pedals for daily use (no straps/SPD) :)

Dave
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GT60 wrote: »

I HATE straps!
    flats or SPDs all day long
    though my preference is SPD,I have trhese flats

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wellgo-lu-987u-flat-pedals/
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 January 2013 at 3:42PM
    Options
    I've never seen those non-slip pads before - what are they made of?

The finish is like hard medium sandpaper, after a lot of abuse on of the pads did eventually fall out, but the pedal is just as usable.

edit:
    Just bought a pair of these, which arrived today and they appear to be made in Japan !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure