MIL Retirement

Options
My MIL is retiring in July and having a really big do. She has worked for the Civil Service all her life and they are helping her throw a massive party with live band, karaoke, buffet - the works!!

I am tearing my hair out what to get her. When I spoke to H, he said he would make her a plaque or something - which I didn't agree with as that is something her work would do. I think that, as family, we should buy her something personal. So I asked her what she was planning on doing once she retired (being such a busy lady, I though she would have had loads of plans) only to find she hasn't thought about it!!

I am stumped!!! She loves gardening but you name it, she's go it! Only suggestions H could come up with is to have a baby - that'll keep her busy!! (yeah thanks, thats a great help!)
:heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:

Comments

• celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    You could do something like a subscription to a gardening magazine, tickets to a flower show, national trust membership or RHS membership. I think there is also a site where you can name a rose for someone, whicih might be an idea. I would go for something related to her interests if you can, a friend of mine took out a lesiure centre membership for her MIL on her retirement so she could go swimming when she liked - not a typical pressie but she thought it was great.
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • Cookiepops
    Cookiepops Posts: 377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oooh I like the rose idea - I'll have a mooch round on the internet
    :heart2: Cookiepops :heart2:
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    has she been to the Eden Project? What about a short stay in Cornwall? If all the family chip in this won't amount to too much ... and you can pay for the Eden Project with tesco clubcard vouchers ...
    That's Numberwang!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport