Mrs Boo Boo's Budget Bonanza

Options
Inspired by all you lovely people and thinking about sorting out my finances for a while have finally made the decision to start a diary to keep me motivated.

Not usually a lover of New Years resolutions,but having been to bed at 2am partying and now up bright and early with a blue sky and sunshine (for a change) am motivated to make a start. Probably brain still addled by alcohol!

So not technically in debt, if you ignore the mortgage, but need to get on top of things because I made the rash decision of giving up a full time job for a part time one eeek!It's more local so hopefully will save on petrol,bridge tolls and wear and tear on the car. I had planned to reduce my hours in my regular job,but it was declined so handed in my notice on Friday. Am hoping quality of life is also improved with a reduced commute.

So here goes
'Feel the Fear & do it Anyway' is my motto.

Comments

• Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Phew that was really hard to do,but I'm sure it will become easier as time goes on.
    Bit of a hangover yesterday,but up early! and sorted out a budget of sorts. Hopefully I will be clever enough to get more organised with it all. Funnily enough years ago when DH and I were a lot younger I could tell you how much money we had exactly written down and worked out in my diary!How times change.
    Have set a shopping budget of £200.00 a month and see what happens. Using up christmas bits of food at the mo.Went to Farm foods today to get toilet rolls. They were recommended on this site a few years ago and I always buy them now. Best quality and price. also 250g butter,2 for £2 so put them in freezer.
    So £21.00 shopping and £2.80 on reduced chocolates from Waitrose for birthday pressies in the next 2 months (sell by date May 2013) and not obviously Christmassy.
    Finally sorted out tax info!! Every year I put it off and when I get round to it it takes next to no time. Going to get it sorted by May 2013 this year.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Popped into town after work. Always try to park for free and it gives me a bit of a walk too.
    Husbands neice's youngest is 2 on Tuesday so had to get a pressie. Very pleased with 4 books from £1 shop,toothpaste and brush,bath foam,flannel and funny sponge £4.17 Wilkinson.
    Also bought several other half price gifts and plain wrapping paper for birthday and Christmas pressies.
    Felt a bit panicky about what I'd spent,but it will all be cheaper in the long run. Am a bit of a stockpile gal and can be a bit impulsive so need to watch this, at times.

MOT and car insurance due soon. Going to get tyres checked tomorrow,buy windscreen wipers and check bulbs. Always get a bit panicky at renewing car insurance just incase I get it wrong and it's invalid. Also need to cancel auto renewal as pointed out by operator last year. hate to get stung! Nearly got done by the AA breakdown last year,but took the advice on here.

Very tired,still catching up from New Year's Eve celebrations. Bed early.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Good news. Got tyres checked prior to MOT and there's still a few thou miles in them. Bought windscreen wipers and only got what I needed in Mr Ts,although I did check the discount shelves for anything good. They seem to be hanging onto their Christmas stock and there were no real bargains! Mind you now that I am more focussed I really think about if I need it or not just because it is reduced.
    Total spend £12.33 on windscreen wipers and £3.30 on newspapers and redbush teabags. Took £30 out,but this will stay in my purse as long as possible.
    Resisted urge to use cash as get £5 back if spend £300 a month on credit card. CC is paid off every month and always has been for years.
    Dettoxed bathroom as a tad mouldy,changed bed,put some washing out for a blow through and have a beef stew in the slow cooker phew.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Oh my goodness a week has already gone. Just shows how busy I am during the week. Been a long week and very busy at work. Only got 2 weeks left and I really need to tie up loose ends and get organised. Didn't help that I agreed to complete some work on the ward because a colleague is on long term sick on Tuesday and accompany another colleague on two duty visits yesterday leaving no time for me to do my own work and there's follow up on Monday!!!!
    Have been regularly updating spreadsheet and taking into account all spends. Currently minus £81.92!! but it does include credit card spends which will be paid off next month. Want to ensure we can pay our way at any time so will have to be a bit more aware.
    This diary has made me more aware of what I am spending and thinking before I buy.
    No spend day today. Need to get cat food tomorrow/Monday.
    Going to community allotment for veg to save me buying it. So wet today didn't get out. Will be very muddy tomorrow,but the incentive is there to save money and get the best of £80 a year subs.
    Got renewal notice for car insurance and it seems reasonable,but will check comparison sites too.
    Need to research mobile phone. On a PAYG with Orange,but have to top up £15 a month to receive free weekend and evening texts which I don't always need. £7.50 a month contract looks more suitable for me because I really only text and call very rarely. Don't use internet at all.
    Anyway good start and am determined to keep at it. Baby steps.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Oh dear a bit stressed now.Thought I was being really clever and ordering my foundation from ebay to save money.Wrong! It came on Tuesday, very promptly,but there is no make-up in it. emailed seller and they are surprisedit's missing! what a flippin con. I will post a question on how to do the right thing this evening,but it's a little fly in the ointment. Grrr. Only 4th thing bought on ebay too. must've known I was a rookie.
    Still good with spending and thinking about spending. Have taken credit card spends off balance already and it's showing a minus balance,although we never go overdrawn so it's always paid,but wanted to make sure we can actually afford it at the time.
    May try stoozing again because this worked ok,although you have to be very disciplined in putting the money away every month!!!! Got a bit caught out there last time.
    Just realised I haven't done the last tasks. This is a problem of mine I'm a bit of a procrastonator,but then get myself caught up in knots of worry when I don't, so I'm my own worst enemy. Keep saying if only I got it sorted at the time I wouldn't be so bad.
    Anyway up early worrying so will get to work earlier today to crack on with that too.
    Put lentils in spag bol and DH bless him he's not at all fussy said he wasn't keen as it tasted bland. Mind you it was beef mince and I usually buy lamb cos it's tastier.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,410 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Love the user name :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Thanks beanielou. it's something I used to call my cat. She's had lots of names since!!!!
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Well doing ok, although a budget really points out in black and white the truth. Like I've already spent £300 on petrol this month! 34 round trip Mon to Fri plus community working so extra trips. New job in Feb will mean 20 mile round trip plus community working so should be less plus no bridge toll 75p a day.
    Have spent a big on goodbye gifts for my colleagues,but went to Poundland for post its,pens and pencils. Can be very impulsive with buying stuff, even in Poundland. It soon adds up! Thought I wasn't too bad,but obviously not.
    Made a goodbye cake and used up fondant I'd bought for Christmas and didn't use. Very pround of myself because I made my own icing sugar too. It goes hard in my damp house anyway so better to make it and use it straight away, rather than waste it.
    Still not lokked at car insurance. Concentrating on work stuff at the mo. House sitting at the weekend and then a week off yippie.
    Spent Saturday night scrubbing parsnips dug last week. Had an inch of mud left in my sink.
    Made chicken curry in the slow cooker ready for tea tomorrow.
    Phew!
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Options
    Well still going strong. Completing a budget has made me so aware of my spending and in order to keep to my budget I am putting off spending if i can help it! hubbie is about buy some more shopping so will check the damage when he returns. Hopefully it will be under budget this month.
    Spent the weekend house and dog sitting so not much outlay. Am now home for a week so plan not to spend. Walked to and from garage for MOT and passed with one bulb replaced! yippie. That's the bonus of having a 'boring' Toyota as my friend's husband told me when I bought it. Plan to save my travel expenses in my new job,however small, to pay for work on the car. I know someone who saved it up to put towards a new car.
    Having a fantastic time at home, despite the rain. Stew in slow cooker and washing in machine.

Things I need to do
    1.Sort out car insurance. Received quote from exisiting insurer need to shop around.
    2.Complete NHS professionals application form.
    3.Reapply for student accreditation.
    4.Change bed.

That'll do for now.
  • London_Bred
    Options
    This is definitely inspiring me to get more money wise. A budget will be created tonight. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure