Clothes swapping party

Options
Been thinking about having one of these parties and wondering...
a) whether anyone has had one before and can give me any advice about planning etc
b) whilst I am not doing it to raise money, has anyone any ideas for a way I could run this and maybe make a small profit on it. Am thinking £20 for the hassle of opening up my home really.

Any advice, interest, tips, good or bad most welcome!

Comments

• quinechinoise
    Options
    I thought swishing parties were something you organised with your friends? I don't think I'd go to a stranger's house for the sake of giving away my clothes and potentially not getting any in return - let alone pay for the privilege. Even overcoming that issue... I reckon your next biggest problem would be ensuring your "guests" were of similar dress sizes.
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Options
    doesn't charging for a clothes swap sort of defeat the object of them being money saving events?
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought swishing parties were something you organised with your friends? I don't think I'd go to a stranger's house for the sake of giving away my clothes and potentially not getting any in return - let alone pay for the privilege.

Same here. I always thought they were events that friends organised amongst themselves which works because they presumably all know each others sizes and style. I think if I had to pay to go to an event I would have higher expectations. I wouldn't be happy to pay an entrance fee and then find people have brought along their old Primark clothes. I think if you were organising a party for strangers (which I assume is your intention) you'd have to find a way of making sure they all bring items of similar quality.
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry are you planning on organising this for friends or strangers? Have to agree I don't think I would go round to a stranger's house to swap clothes with people I didn't know (and who may not be the same size as me) especially not if I had to pay to go.

I've seen these organised amongst friends for purely money-saving reasons - ie get rid of your old clothes and hopefully find some new ones, usually while having a bit of a drink and a giggle with people you know. Again, I don't think I'd really want to pay to go round to a friend's house.

I have seen a few organised in halls or pubs by charities and they do charge a fee - but they tend to be on a larger and more organised scale and obviously the money is going to a good cause.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure