Advice on Saxophone for beginner

Options
Okay.. I have always wanted to learn to play the saxophone from the first time I heard one. I have played other instruments when at school but they were always borrowed and I couldn't put in the hour practice I needed to progress at a speed I wanted and in the end had to reluctantly give up without really achieving anything.
I've saved up tip money all year that I've been given from my work customers and now in a position that I could buy my own instrument. I would prefer new as its kind of like a gift, I know it's a gift to myself but that's how I see my tip money, a luxury gift that I wouldn't normally have.
As I've only ever borrowed instruments in the past I haven't a clue where to start in terms of makes/quality for money etc. I have tried to do research but was hoping someone could give some advice or point me in the right direction.
I have seen this, but something is telling me it's too good to true?
http://www.karacha.com/Tenor-Saxophone-Intermediate-Starter-Pack

Thanks in advance
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Comments

• Yorkshirelass_2
    Options
    Don't know if I can offer much help, but here goes.

My daughter started the alto saxophone 2 yrs ago aged 9, though I notice your link is for a tenor sax. School recommended an alto as a good place to start as she already played the recorder and notes/fingering are the same.

We bought through our local County Music Service (which saved us the VAT) through the assisted purchase scheme and bought a Jupiter 567 at around £440 then.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! The instrument arrived by courier from the supplier, it was supposed to be set up ready but some of the pads weren't correct and we had to visit a music shop in a nearby town for them to put it right (the shop is run by a musician and he said they often have instruments brought in bought online, not correctly set up).

I don't know where you are in the country but suggest that it maybe better if possible to find a shop for some one to one advice, you want to get the most from your instrument especially if it has has taken alot of saving for; the advice we got from this shop was invaluable.

My daughter has struggled with the reading of music but now plays really well and loves it! Good luck!!
  • kiss_me_now9
    Options
    IIRC my sax was £400 used back in 2003... it's silver and yellow and is very pretty but a bit old now!

Would also recommend starting with an alto, tenors tend to be harder to get a sound out of if I'm correct. Make sure you get the right reed too - ask in the music shop, you'll want the softest one as you won't have the mouth muscles yet to play a hard one (I always got the '2' reed, though that may be specific to your local shop).

I'm presuming you can already read music if you've played instruments in the past, in which case I'd also grab a very basic book that shows you all the scales, finger movements and note correlations (think childs book here!) until you're set to play pieces all the way through. I gave up in the end as I struggled so much with the timings - I couldn't concentrate on playing, listening to my sound, reading the music AND listening to whatever the teacher was playing on the piano to stay in time to all at the same time!

Good luck, a saxophone is a wonderful instrument to learn :) Oh, and maybe warn your neighbours, they can get loud!
    £2023 in 2023 challenge - £17.79 January

• giggles_alot
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice.

I'm in Lincoln, I think there's a music shop in town that sell Saxophones, I will quiz them when it reopens. I don't like the sound of the problems you had with courier, probably best I get to know a local shop from the start. I just like to research things first before being on the spot with a sales person, like to have half a clue what I'm on about. But hopefully they will be more of musician than salesman.

I can read music but a bit slow, hopefully that will improve as I learn. I like the idea of a children's book, least I should know what it's meant to sound like

I strangely liked the size/weight of tenor compared to Alto. But, if Alto is easier to learn I might need to reconsider that.

Thank you for the luck :-)
  • topcat2006
    Options
    My kids have been doing music lessons and the learn as you play books seem good with a mix of exercises, scales and tunes to play.

Go to you music shop and try before you buy - you will soon find out what suits you.

Don't be afraid of a s/h instrument - it is a good way of getting a decent instrument without the initial outlay and they can be serviced and refurbished for you by a decent music shop.
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    As with cars, tv's, mobiles, anything, there are good saxophone brands/models, and bad ones. It's as easy as picking one up and getting on perfectly well, and picking another up and feeling like it's a struggle, effort, doesn't sound good.

Take the chance with a decent music shop and go in and try different models/makes. If you find one that you like, suits you, feels good, you can look out places on the web for cheaper prices, but always research the shop you buy online from, and if possible phone up and talk to them.

The music shop should be able to look at new and second hand/refurb instruments in your price range, and say realistically whether they are good or not. My "local" is in fact 55 miles away, but will not stock any junk names/brands and will only sell those that they know work, sound nice, and are not going to be in repair constantly (even though it's more money for them) they will play them for me, and tweek keys/springs when needed, and are very knowledgeable. Not all music shops are the same. Try and find a good woodwind shop, rather than a general music shop that has one or two of everything and can't play any one.

As said, don't be afraid on second hand. You are a beginner now, but you wont always be, so a cheaper beginner only sax might not do you for a long time. I'd probably look second hand to begin with and get a better deal for your money. It's a gift to yourself, so new, or second hand it's still special, and frankly shiny new doesn't equal the best deal for you with music instruments.

My experience lies with clarinets and flutes, but it's the same over all musical instruments. So far I've purchased second hand cheap for my first, then when confident with my skills, and the fact I will carry on, I've purchased new on more advanced instruments, but have always played it prior to buying it.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I play tenor sax - started at 11 (and the sax was nearly as big as I was). Managed to pick up a really decent one in Costcutters for £200. No idea what make but it has a really nice sound.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • tuftyclub
    Options
    not a woodwind player myself but these get an excellent recomendation for brassplayers http://www.johnpacker.co.uk/Catalogue/Woodwind/Saxophone/Alto-Saxophone/Student/JP041-Alto-Saxophone-Eb-101569 Much more established company
  • mccristo
    mccristo Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2012 at 6:55PM
    Options
    Hello there!

Second hand I'd go with a YAS23 or 25 from ebay in good condition (prices vary massively 250-450) so if you are in no rush and very patient keep your eyes out for a bargain. Take it to a local repairman/woman and for an extra £60-100 you'll have a pretty much brand new GOOD saxophone that will last you forever.

New Saxophones between £200-400 are a risk, regardless of brand, no matter what people tell you. They are very rarely quality controlled to any sufficient level. I've had people come for lessons on no brand £120 saxes from ebay that have ranged from brilliant to unplayable. At least with a well known manufacture ie Jupiter, Yamaha, Conn used or second hand you at least know you are getting a quality instrument.

On a side note:

I've tried to make a thread on this (but it's technically self promotion) but I've actually recorded 40 free saxophone video lessons that may help you learn Saxophone.

It's a very thorough free Saxophone course designed to get you playing songs asap :)

Come check it out at http://danchristian.net
  • giggles_alot
    Options
    Thanks again to all who have offered advice,

I plan to visit my local shop in the new year, work out exactly what I'm looking for. And after thinking again, looking out for a second hand one maybe best option. Know the quality is there.

Thanks Dan, bookmarked your website for future reference :-)
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    mccristo wrote: »
    New Saxophones between £200-400 are a risk, regardless of brand, no matter what people tell you. They are very rarely quality controlled to any sufficient level. I've had people come for lessons on no brand £120 saxes from ebay that have ranged from brilliant to unplayable. At least with a well known manufacture ie Jupiter, Yamaha, Conn used or second hand you at least know you are getting a quality instrument.
    I'm glad someone has said it. Having no experience with Saxophones in the cheapy cheery range, but do with flutes. Pretty much assumed the same problem is with all instruments.

My most common experience were stagg flutes in band. More often than not me sat there trying to put it together again, whilst the owner played on my TJJ flute and you could see the look when we'd swap back again. We managed to persuade the Band owner/runner to buy the next lot of basic TJJ on a bulk buy. Dearer than their stagg wonderdeal, but eventually they admitted they had less, way less problems. Granted my flute was really quite expensive, but it was a inheritance gift with a birthday thrown into it. 7 or 8 years on now, it works as good as the day I got it. But that is down to care, and having it regularly serviced when needed.

It is excruciatingly hard to buy a first instrument with no playing experience at all. Those shiny (coloured) super models that proclaim advance playability, of the price of peanuts just grab people. Especially parents who are looking for their childs first instrument, and are trying to save money, needed or otherwise.
    Yeah you might get one that is okay, but it's a high risk, and they just simply don't last.
    If you don't feel comfortable in the music shop, locate another one. They should be able to advise you on everything, and if you can find someone who can play it, at least then you know what it sounds like, when you'll be good enough to play.
    Don't just stick with one kind though. Mum started on a soprano (not a common one I know) but it's so cute, and light, harder work however. Try many, try many types and question any second hand history.
    You could also look into renting for a couple of months if this is available to check it out, make sure you are willing to keep learning up. Also look at second hand student models, as they're often played little, and dumped back at the shop when the kid decides too much effort :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure