Dad's Will

Options
hullboy31
hullboy31 Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 24 December 2012 at 9:14AM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Found out I have been named as a beneficiary of will, do I have a right to ask to see a copy of the will? apparantley the bank accounts have been frozen and solicitors said there is only one will so not sure what else has to happen. or if there is anthing i could do to help, as the funeral has been arranged already, But I have no input at all so dont even know if there going to be flowers the type of coffin etc.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He's the executor and will be dealing with everything. Just ask him!
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hullboy31 you are in danger of getting severely flamed for being interested in money at a time like this. I suggest you delete your post.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    NAR wrote: »
    hullboy31 you are in danger of getting severely flamed for being interested in money at a time like this. I suggest you delete your post.

The purpose of this board is to help people in situations like this get it right that include knowing and finding out what they may be entitled too.

they need to see the will and a statement of accounts of the estate to make sure everything is above board and the uncle is not pulling a fast one and running off with a house or other assets.
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    The purpose of this board is to help people in situations like this get it right that include knowing and finding out what they may be entitled too.

they need to see the will and a statement of accounts of the estate to make sure everything is above board and the uncle is not pulling a fast one and running off with a house or other assets.

Having seen the original question I can understand why NAR made his comments.

Perhaps the OP could have worded his question more - how shall we say - diplomatically ?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

No argument from me on this, however the timing of the request so soon after their father's death could be misconstrued, which is all I was pointing out.
  • hullboy31
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, yes I should of worded it better, Just so confused as I have never dealt with a death before and Just found out my Dads gf has sorted the whole funeral out and Ive had no say, But Im not sure how things work. Whos paying the bill apparantely Ive been left the money in his bank accounts so does that mean that Im paying for the funeral, would of really liked some input in it. Ive been toold im next of kin as his son but havent been involved in much!
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever you father left (cash in bank accounts/property etc.) form his "estate". The executor of the will has the job of checking what this totals and paying any costs or debts that were owed at the time of death - this will also include funeral expenses and (if using a solicitor) the executors fees. What remains is then distributed according to the terms of the will.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Funeral directors will take instructions from whoever has the green form(issued by the registrar when you register the death).

This can in some cases end up excluding close relatives from the process unless informed and included, you need to talk to the people involved, GF and uncle from what you have said so far.

Funeral expences come from the residual estate or from shares of bequests if no residual, the executors have a duty not to sqander the money so if there are excesive funeral costs there are steps that can be taken.

There should be no problem getting to see the will since this becomes a public document once the application to administer the estate is made and approved(known as the grant, commonly refered to as probate).

Not a lot to go on but.
    It may be that if you have had no or little contact for some time those currently close may be a little protective, remember they are going through a tough time as well.

there are a few guides on the web about the process, probably worth reading a couple so you understand better what will have happend so far and what happens next.

(google : what to do when someone dies)
    here is the gov one.
    https://www.gov.uk/after-a-death/overview
    https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance
  • hullboy31
    Options
    Thanks for your replies,

I shall wait and let my uncle deal with what he needs to deal with as executor going to the funeral directors on Thursday, its all been arranged so not much I can do now apart from go and see him and attend the funeral, and maybe help sort through personal effects.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    hullboy31 wrote: »
    I shall wait and let my uncle deal with what he needs to deal with as executor going to the funeral directors on Thursday, its all been arranged so not much I can do now apart from go and see him and attend the funeral, and maybe help sort through personal effects.

People don't always think straight after a death so allow a bit of leeway for your uncle and father's gf but, unless you have been estranged from your father, it's a shame they haven't included you in the planning.

If you would like to say a few words or do a reading at the service, do ask. They may say they don't want you to or they may say your father had left plans for how he wanted the funeral and you'll have to accept that.

It might just be that they hadn't thought of you and would welcome your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure