Paul's Cycles

Options
I thought it would be nice to put a good purchasing experience on here for a change.

I decided earlier this month that I wanted to get back into cycling so have since been looking for a bike.

Anyway I came across Pauls Cycles from Norfolk (http://www.paulscycles.co.uk), from who I purchased a 2012 Mongoose Tyax Comp this week.

Firstly the price was simply unbeatable, as the 2013 model is now out (Very similar spec) retailing at £500, most retailers with 2012 stock left have reduced them, from £500 to the £400 - £450 Range. Pauls Cycles have reduced the bike massively to £339.

Anyway Thursday was payday, so I ordered the bike at about 11am - unlike a lot of online retailers, Pauls don't just pick a box from the warehouse and send it out - They actually assemble the bike and set it up and the remove the front wheel and handlebars to get it back in the box - so when you get it, it only takes 5-10 minutes to get the bike ready, as opposed to a couple of hours for the inexperienced.

With this in mind I was not expecting the bike until after Christmas, but Lo and behold, by yesterday (Friday) lunchtime, what should arrive at the door? Yep the bike, along with clear instructions on reassembling it. I was absolutely amazed!!!!

Anyway heres to an extremely good retailer who I would recommend to anybody.

Comments

• cleggy.
    cleggy. Posts: 1,701 Forumite
    Options
    I prefer to try in person. Unless you have sat on the bike you may get the wrong size or even find you don't like the feel of it at all.
    One companies 18 inch frame is not the same as anothers.
    Also, buying from a proper bike shop allows you to take it back for its first service which is usually free, and have any little niggles like jumping gears sorted out quickly. Setting the deraileur up perfectly is a skilled job.
    Glad you are happy though.
  • Cknocker
    Cknocker Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'd probably agree with you, if you're not comfortable with cycle maintenance and you don't know what size bike you need.

I'm probably fortunate that: -

1. I'm quite a big guy, and my usual problem is finding a bike that is large enough for instance halfords only do one bike in the sub £500 band in my size - If a mountain bike is 22" that will do me.

2. I was bought up with bikes as my Dad was a bit of a bike nut when we were growing up - he nearly set up his own bike repair business in the 80's.

That said with the savings on offer even if you needed to pay for a first service, you would be quids in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure