We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Blog - The death of the high street, and the rise of the £1 shop

Options
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

The death of the high street, and the rise of the £1 shop

"It's nearly the end of 2012, and for shoppers and their high streets, what a year it's been.

"We've seen the departure of Peacocks, the demise of Game and the downfall of Comet. We've said adios to JJB Sports, Past Times and Ethel Austin. And we've seen Clinton Cards, Jane Norman and Blacks face difficult and uncertain times."

Comments

• JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I did all of my Christmas shopping online this year. Its a first for me, but i think i will do the same next year.
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was disappointed to see that Inverness town centre is now just a shell of it's former self.

Many closed shops now and as stated in Martin's blog, Pound stores rising in their place.

It's very sad, but not unexpected given the price differential between buying online and buying in the High St.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2012 at 7:54PM
    Options
    Its very sad but when times are tough many downsize and or make more efforts to find bargains. The shops have to adapt, they do have advantages get them today, see before your buy but and its a big but there prices must be similar to online.

What does not help high streets is parking, being pestered by chuggers

Some shops do have similar prices in fact you can buy online and collect in store for free, maybe thats one way forward.

One disadvantage of shopping online besides the delay is the real stock showing, some online outfits like Amazon have everything efficiently run and you seldom have issues with them apart from there sneaky are putting prices up or down subject to demands and or competitors

Comet is one example how not to run a shop. Aggressive selling of insurance, poor customer service, uncompetitive prices
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport